Author Topic: Margaret Rose b abt 1818  (Read 820 times)

Offline glendan561

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Rose b abt 1818
« on: Monday 21 April 14 02:00 BST (UK) »
Have been going in circles trying to find anything that will identify where my 3 x great grandmother, Margaret Rose, was born and who her parents were. She married Robert Alexander in Urquhart, Morayshire, Scotland in 1836 and on the 1841 Scottish census her place of birth is given as England. I have checked the census record on Scotlands People and there is definitely an "E" in the place of birth column. Unfortunately Margaret died before 1855. The only commmon denominator is the presence of Hugh Rose as a witness at the baptism of at least 2 of her children. Initially I thought he might have been her father, a brother or an uncle however, I have been unable find a Margaret Rose and a Hugh Rose as having at least one parent in common. I was able to find an Alexander Rose with a daughter Margaret but he did not have a brother Hugh. I have checked some baptism records for England and found a Margaret Rose born in 1818 in Lancashire to a George Rose and a Mary Rose. I can only assume that Margaret's parents travelled to Scotland for some purpose or perhaps she was an orphan and was taken to Scotland by relatives. Would be very grateful if anyone could suggest any other avenues of research.

Many thanks
Glenda
Smith (Elgin & Knockando), Duncan (Morayshire), Rose (Sutherland),Alexander (Morayshire), MacLennan (Morayshire), Milne (Glenlivet), Golding, Williams (Swansea,Wales), Tregoning, Haworth (Bury, Lancashire)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Rose b abt 1818
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 April 14 03:43 BST (UK) »
There are quite a few baptisms for the surname Rose at the Presbyterian Scotch Church on Bridge Road, Monkwearmouth (non-conformist).

One in 1811 looks quite interesting - Mary first daughter of Hugh Rose, Taylor of [Nairn??] NB and Margaret [Douglass?] of Monkwearmouth.   I wonder if Mary became known as Margaret after her mother?

Sorry for the poor transcript but its a but blury and I probably need reading glasses !

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 April 14 07:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Glenda,

There are lots of records on the free Lancs OPC web site for the surname Rose.
including 5 matches for Margaret Rose born between 1817 and 1821.
Take a look.

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 April 14 08:48 BST (UK) »
There must be a clue somewhere in the name Hugh as I see from the 1851 census, they named a son Hugh (although by 1851 Robert had already remarried).
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline glendan561

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 00:51 BST (UK) »
There are quite a few baptisms for the surname Rose at the Presbyterian Scotch Church on Bridge Road, Monkwearmouth (non-conformist).

One in 1811 looks quite interesting - Mary first daughter of Hugh Rose, Taylor of [Nairn??] NB and Margaret [Douglass?] of Monkwearmouth.   I wonder if Mary became known as Margaret after her mother?

Sorry for the poor transcript but its a but blury and I probably need reading glasses !

Many thanks for your suggestion. Although she was born in England, your response did make me take a good look at naming patterns and I think I have found her father, Hugh Rose, from Sutherland.

Glenda
Smith (Elgin & Knockando), Duncan (Morayshire), Rose (Sutherland),Alexander (Morayshire), MacLennan (Morayshire), Milne (Glenlivet), Golding, Williams (Swansea,Wales), Tregoning, Haworth (Bury, Lancashire)

Offline glendan561

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Glenda,

There are lots of records on the free Lancs OPC web site for the surname Rose.
including 5 matches for Margaret Rose born between 1817 and 1821.
Take a look.

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

Thank you very much for this link.

Glenda

Offline glendan561

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 00:55 BST (UK) »
There must be a clue somewhere in the name Hugh as I see from the 1851 census, they named a son Hugh (although by 1851 Robert had already remarried).

Thank you. Yes, Hugh was Robert and Margaret's eldest son. Margaret died in about 1847/48 and Robert remarried a short time later. I think I may have found Margaret's father and using naming patterns I think it makes some sense, Hugh Rose born in Sutherland and a Waterloo veteran. I still need to verify who her mother was and where she was born but the First Foot Regiment returned to London in 1816 which does give some scope to Margaret being born in England.