Author Topic: Trying to find Donald Maclean in Merchant Navy  (Read 4695 times)

Offline trigger_happie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to find Donald Maclean in Merchant Navy
« on: Monday 21 April 14 05:18 BST (UK) »
Hi.  I am trying to find info on two of my great uncles.
Donald Maclean B. 27 Sept 1902 and Donald John Maclean B. 20 May 1906. Both born in Garrynamonie, South Uist to Angus Maclean and Katherine MacLellan.
  My Grand father came to NZ in 1928 and never really passed much family history on.
Our family has always been lead to believe that Donlad (1902) drowned during WW2 after his ship was torpedoed, but recently an aunt of mine told me that he was a merchant seaman and died in 1948; and then an uncle told me that he didn't drown but died of pneumonia later, but I cant seem to find a record of him anywhere.
  I have however found a record for a Donald John in the Merchant Navy but am unsure if he belongs in our family tree.  Is there any way to trace back to his family?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Trigger_happie

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find Donald Maclean in Merchant Navy
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 April 14 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have a Donald MacLean born 1902 died aged 38 of Pneumonia aboard the ship ALCORA on 26th February 1940. His home address is noted as West Kilbride in South Uist which is just down the road from Garrynamonie.
Did DJ die at sea?

Regards
Hugh

Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 April 14 15:00 BST (UK) »
There's also an A.B. Donald John Maclean Merchant Navy died 31st. Jan. 1944 aboard the S.S. Caleb Sprague aged 38 giving a birth year of 1906.
No other details except that it was torpedoed & sank off Beachy Head.
Commemorated at Tower Hill Memorial London.
http://www.benjidog.co.uk/Tower%20Hill/Cadillac%20to%20Cambridge.html#Caleb_Sprague

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 April 14 15:25 BST (UK) »
Attached, survivors report for CALEB SPRAGUE
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline trigger_happie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 April 14 21:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for your help.

Hugh.  That is the best lead for Donald I have. Thank You.  Could you tell me if he was in the merchant navy or just a seaman?

I am unsure about Donald John.  The only information I had on him was from a croft book and that only tells me he married Mary MacKay that's why I was wondering if it is possible to trace back to the family.
From the posting from jds1949 it looks as though it may be Donald John as he has the DOB that I have so it could very well be him.
  Would there be any death certificates for them anywhere?

Thanks
Trigger_happie

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 April 14 22:19 BST (UK) »
Donald was an AB in the Merchant Navy.
Donald John, lost on 'CALEB SPRAGUE', was also an AB, and interestingly he was also from Kilbride, South Uist, the same place as Donald who died on 'ALCORA'. There was another man, John MacLean aged 24 from Milton South Uist also lost on 'CALEB SPRAGUE' not sure if they were related. South Uist is a small island and Donald John is a very common name. I have South Uist connections and one of my gt uncle's, also a Donald John in the MN from Uist, was lost at sea during the war.

Regards
Hugh 
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline trigger_happie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 00:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hugh.
 Although my Donald's were from a family of twelve there was no John in that family but there was another Donald Alexander.  I am unsure if any of the other boys in the family fought in the war, if they did they returned home and died from the 1970's onward. 

Where can I find copies of their records?

Trigger_happie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 01:18 BST (UK) »
Hi.  I am trying to find info on two of my great uncles.
Donald Maclean B. 27 Sept 1902 and Donald John Maclean B. 20 May 1906. Both born in Garrynamonie, South Uist to Angus Maclean and Katherine MacLellan.
  My Grand father came to NZ in 1928 and never really passed much family history on.
Our family has always been lead to believe that Donlad (1902) drowned during WW2 after his ship was torpedoed, but recently an aunt of mine told me that he was a merchant seaman and died in 1948; and then an uncle told me that he didn't drown but died of pneumonia later, but I cant seem to find a record of him anywhere.
  I have however found a record for a Donald John in the Merchant Navy but am unsure if he belongs in our family tree.  Is there any way to trace back to his family?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Trigger_happie

Hi Trigger,

The croft book says Donald drowned although it doesn't state where. The name MacLean in the area of Kilbride listed in the book would point to Donald John being your relative. Although the name MacLean is a Uist name it isn't as common as some of the other's & the fact that the names are listed in the Croft book in the area of Kilbride is a pretty accurate call on D J being the right relative.

Anne Marie.

P.S. Pressed enter by mistake earlier :-)
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"