Author Topic: BLOOMFIELD of Wetheringsett-Cum-Brockford  (Read 5588 times)

Offline cathysm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BLOOMFIELD of Wetheringsett-Cum-Brockford
« on: Monday 21 April 14 15:00 BST (UK) »
I would be grateful if anyone could search the Wetheringsett parish records for a Bloomfield marriage and baptisms for me. I believe Henry Bloomfield (b. abt. 1498) and Katherine were married in the 1520s and I have the names of two possible sons, John and William, but no dates of birth. Henry died in 1531 in Wetheringsett.

Also, the marriage of a Thomas Bloomfield to Ann, in Wetheringsett, around 1630.

I realise this may be a tall order as I'm sure the records from this far back are difficult to read but am hopeful that someone may be able to find something for me.

Thank you :)

Offline suelaw1954

• RootsChat Member
  • Sue, Feb 1955. So cute, what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: BLOOMFIELD of Wetheringsett-Cum-Brockford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 03:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathysm,
Unfortunately the keeping of Parish Registers in England and Wales only began in 1538 with an act of Parliament associated with Henry VIII's break from Rome. Very few survive from this period, but the Act was reenacted in 1558 (Queen Elizabeth's accession) and reinforced with a more extensive act in 1598. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parish_register)

Both the Suffolk Record Office (http://www.suffolk.gov.uk/assets/suffolk.gov.uk/Libraries%20and%20Culture/Suffolk%20Record%20Office/2013-07-25%2041%20PARISH%20REGS%20ON%20FICHE-FILM%20B&W.pdf) and the Suffolk FHS (http://www.suffolkfhs.org.uk/docs/parish_listing_A-Z_May_2014.pdf) have details on what records are still extant and publicly available.
Wetheringsett's parish records start in 1556.

I believe you need to move to manorial records prior to the parish registers.

Sue  :-\
Common(s) - Sussex, London, Northumberland
Spall - London, Suffolk (Debenham, Cretingham)
Goddard - Sussex (Brighton, Newtimber, Edburton)
Piller - London, Norfolk
Shadbolt - Herts (Codicote, Datchworth)
Young - Sussex (Brighton)
Rose - Army, London
Beckwith - London, Norfolk

Offline cathysm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 May 14 13:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the advice, Sue, will look into manorial records.

Offline suelaw1954

• RootsChat Member
  • Sue, Feb 1955. So cute, what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 May 14 10:29 BST (UK) »
As to your c1620 marriage, I can't see a Thomas Bloomfield, though there are 2 John Blomefeild marriages, 1 in 1624 and 1 in 1637.

Sue
Common(s) - Sussex, London, Northumberland
Spall - London, Suffolk (Debenham, Cretingham)
Goddard - Sussex (Brighton, Newtimber, Edburton)
Piller - London, Norfolk
Shadbolt - Herts (Codicote, Datchworth)
Young - Sussex (Brighton)
Rose - Army, London
Beckwith - London, Norfolk

Offline cathysm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 June 14 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Thanks for checking the records for me.

I am trying to trace back from my 9 x great-grandfather, Hammond Bloomfield, who was baptised on 17th September, 1634, in Wetheringsett. His parents were Thomas and Ann, hence the search for their marriage.

The Bloomfields of Suffolk have been discussed widely on another Rootschat thread, which I have scoured for information. There is a suggestion that the Wetheringsett Bloomfields were descended from Henry, mentioned in the above post, who died 1531 in Wetheringsett. Henry has a fascinating and well-documented ancestry and it would be great to be able to link my Hammond Bloomfield to him.

Your help is much appreciated,
Cathy.

Online Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 June 14 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Cathy

I am one of the people looking for Bloomfield/Blomfield family members in that general area.  Your people are well-placed geographically to link to the Blomfields of Earl Stonham and that area.  Mine have migrated further to Woolpit and although a link is highly likely so far it has been impossible to verify.  My earliest Blomfield so far is Peter Blomfield who married Ann Mud at Baylham in 1683.

Regards,
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yi Win

• RootsChat Senior
  • de Blunvil - Blomvyle - Blomfield - Bloomfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy,

I have this man Hammond on my tree - married 3 times - parents Thomas and Ann - unfortunately I do not have the line back any further than you do but I have several branches down and if he is on my tree he must link into the Stonham Blomfields by marriage somewhere!

Yi
de Blunvil, Blomville. Blomvyle, Blomfield, Bloomfield, Gotterson, Tuck, de Burgh,

Offline cathysm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 November 14 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi GS and Yi,

(Sorry for not replying sooner, GS, have had little time for my family tree research in recent weeks!)

I have only 2 marriages for Hammond Bloomfield - Ann abt. 1660 and Anne Bartlett on 12th November 1676 in Rishangles.

I don't have Peter and Ann Blomfield in my family tree, GS. I see Baylham is just a little further south of Earl Stonham.

The Bloomfields of Suffolk are certainly a fascinating family to research - I would love to be able to trace my ancestors much further back but am missing vital links at the moment.

Will keep watching the Rootschat forum and checking online resources - hopefully something will turn up eventually!

Thank you both for your comments,
Best wishes,
Cathy.

Offline Yi Win

• RootsChat Senior
  • de Blunvil - Blomvyle - Blomfield - Bloomfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 November 14 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy,

I have

Ann b 1634 m c1660 Suffolk children x 6 d1675

Ann Bartlett b 1635 m 12 Nov 1676 Rishangles d1708 child Hammond

Maria Howes b c1659 m 21 Oct 1680 Rishangles children x 4

How accurate these are I can not say as this is not my brnach but one that links in via a marriage to my Blomfield family - a cousin was tracing this side but the info may help you.

Yi

de Blunvil, Blomville. Blomvyle, Blomfield, Bloomfield, Gotterson, Tuck, de Burgh,