Author Topic: George Goodman Missing  (Read 5918 times)

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Goodman Missing
« Reply #27 on: Friday 24 December 21 22:54 GMT (UK) »
If George began living under an assumed name after leaving St Vincent's School For Boys about 1887, the only hope you have to find any trace of him is to have your DNA tested and look for matches with his descendants, if any.  His grandchildren and you would be second cousins and their children would be second cousins once removed.

Google searching for LostCousins or clicking here https://www.lostcousins.com should take you to a website in England which is a one man operation devoted to reuniting distant cousins.  He is knowledgeable in using DNA matching to break down brick walls.  Search his free newsletters for info on DNA testing.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 25 December 21 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra, thank you once again. That other thread is the father of the missing George. On the birth cert of George born 1881, he is named George Joseph and the father’s name is also written as George Joseph. That is my Hertfordshire uk thread.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 25 December 21 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Manawakian, thank you for your message. I did my dad’s dna, some years ago, before he died. It was with familytreedna. His DNA matched with a local, to me, Goodman family, who kindly let me request their male Goodman’s DNA test. Those tests did not match any other Goodman families, who tested with familytree. I haven’t come across any Canadian Goodman Dna researchers.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 25 December 21 14:09 GMT (UK) »
I have a standard membership for lost cousins, which I visited last 2011. I have just visited again, using your link, thank you for that. Unfortunately there are no further developments.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 25 December 21 15:08 GMT (UK) »
I will get back to you in a couple of days.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 25 December 21 15:16 GMT (UK) »
The company with the largest database of peoples DNA results is having a boxing day only sale tomorrow.  You should consider getting tested there as you will have a much greater chance of linking with one of Georges descendants on that site.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 25 December 21 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thank you for your advice. I have just ordered a test for my brother, in Ireland, to do. Thought it better to keep to the male Goodman line. I have a public member tree on their site.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 28 December 21 16:49 GMT (UK) »
If you bought an Ancestry test kit, it is not a Y-DNA test like you are familiar with, it is an autosomal test which matches you with relatives from both sides of your family, both male and female.  If your great uncle George Goodman had any descendants and if any of them tested on Ancestry then they will show up as 3rd cousin or closer matches regardless of gender.  If no matches show up then nothing has been proved in the search for George but you will find many other matches of interest from both sides of your family.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 30 December 21 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thank you, silly me, I could have just done the test for myself. My brother is in Ireland and I am in UK. Hopefully when he receives the test, and gets the result, I will be able to add it to my tree. I only have access to my own ancestry tree, as I am no longer a paying subscriber.