Author Topic: Death in HAMBURG, Germany 1866  (Read 768 times)

Online Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Death in HAMBURG, Germany 1866
« on: Tuesday 22 April 14 09:07 BST (UK) »
I would be grateful for any help in finding the circumstances of the following death.

According to a local newspaper report (Newcastle Courant), Mary NESSWORTHY (or NESWORTHY) died in Hamburg, Germany on August 19th 1866. She was aged 41 years. The question is how and why.

Her husband, Matthew, was a mariner, regularly plying the route between Tyneside and the continent (either Hamburg or Le Havre) carrying coal. His vessel at the time was probably called 'Palladium'. The family lived adjacent to the docks in South Shields. I have found no other evidence that Mary was a traveller or had been with Matthew on previous journeys. Indeed Mary had previously had ten children - the youngest born in June the previous year.

There is no other local information I can discover. Are there any German resources which might help? 

Many thanks Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death in HAMBURG, Germany 1866
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 12:37 BST (UK) »
Is this Charles among the 10 children of Mary you know?
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NNBT-9XF

Because I can also see a 1891 census entry where he (assuming same man) says he was b. Hamburg.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/H3QW-3ZM

Unfortunately Mary does not seem to be registered on the consular or marine death indices (although http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk does show a John Nesworthy d. 1880 at sea - relative?).

I believe (one of the German experts may be able to correct me here) that civil registration had not started at this time and you would have to look for the appropriate parish records.

Probably the first place to look would be Anglican records in Hamburg, some of which are held at the London Metropolitan Archives:
http://www.aim25.ac.uk/cats/118/16318.htm

There might be records in German archives relating to the family but there's no equivalent of freebmd.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Re: Death in HAMBURG, Germany 1866
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 13:11 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your thoughts.

Yes indeed that is the same Charles (and the last one born to Mary before her death). I must admit that I hadn't noticed his quoted place of birth as Hamburg in the 1891 census although he had reverted back to South Shields by 1901! I have a copy of his birth certificate which confirms his birth as June 3rd 1865.

I have now found a 'shipping intelligence' record (this time the Dundee Advertiser) which confirms that the 'Palladium' under Nessworthy's control left Shields on August 12th 1886 and was 'at Hamburg' on August 21st.

Over two or three generations this is a fascinating family to follow!

Kind regards

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson