Author Topic: John Parker emigrated April 1635  (Read 3310 times)

Offline BPP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Parker emigrated April 1635
« on: Friday 24 June 05 17:24 BST (UK) »
John Parker of Marlborough, Wiltshire, born 1604, emigrated to New England in April 1635. His occupation was as a carpenter.

Any information on this individual or family is appreciated. Thank you for your courtesy and kind attention to my query.

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: John Parker emigrated April 1635
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 June 05 01:33 BST (UK) »
DO you know what state? New England is a region. 
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline BPP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 June 05 04:42 BST (UK) »
At that time the area was Plymouth Colony now the state of Massachusetts.

Offline Amy M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 June 05 03:27 BST (UK) »
I found a couple references to a John Parker, but not sure if they are relevant.

1) In 1636, a John Parker was among the men listed as either settling or receiving a land grant for the town of Hingham, which was in Plymouth County.

2) Five brothers (Abraham, John, Joseph, Jacob & James) arrived in America circa 1635 from England, and settled in Woburn.  John moved to nearby Billerica, where he was the first town clerk.  He was a sergeant and philanthropist.  He married widow Marie Poulter, but did not have children.  Although I cannot find a birthplace for this John, I did find elsewhere that Abraham was believed to be from Marlborough.  There are more details available about John's brothers, which I can send you later if you'd like.
CAMPBELL (Balleghan), DOUGLAS(S) (Carrowhugh) - Lower Moville, Co. Donegal
HUSBAND(S) (Sneem), SULLIVAN (Kenmare) - Kenmare, Co. Kerry
KEARNEY (Kilmurry/Castleisland), O'CONNOR (Shanaknock/Ballymacelligott) - Tralee, Co. Kerry
KEEFFE (Ballyhooly), HARRINGTON (Rathnadarrahy), DILLON - Castletownroche, Co. Cork
Note: My Irish ancestors ended up in Boston, Massachusetts area of U.S. between 1880 & 1905.

Offline BPP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 June 05 18:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Amy M. Any details about John's brothers would be appreciated.

Brian (BPP)

Offline Amy M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 June 05 00:38 BST (UK) »
This is a little lengthy.  I cut and pasted this information (as it would have taken me forever to type it up).

From the book The history of New Ipswich, New Hampshire, 1735-1914 by Charles H. Chandler:

Abraham Parker, "b. about 1609; d. Aug. 12, 1685; m. Nov. 18, 1644, Rose Whitlock [d. Nov. 30, 1691]. He is believed to have been a native of Marlborough, Wiltshire, England, whence he came to New England and had settled at Woburn, Mass., in 1644. He removed to Chelmsford, Mass., about 1653, and there passed his remaining years."

From the book A Genealogical History of the Clark and Worth Families by Carol Clark Johnson:

"Five Parker brothers came to America circa 1635 from England. All five lived in Woburn for a time, and a petition of May 19, 1653, for a grant six miles square at Chelmsford by men of Woburn and Concord carried the signatures of twenty-nine men including the names of John, James, Joseph and Jacob; while Abraham is said to have moved there prior to the petition, the others came at a later date. John removed permanently to Billerica; James and Joseph lived there for a time but settled ca 1661 at Groton. Abraham and Jacob lived and died in Chelmsford. Abraham, James, Joseph and Jacob in 1658 petitioned the Court along with twenty-nine others from Chelmsford for permission to trade with the Indians, but their request was not granted. By 1834, 41 Parkers had graduated from Harvard and 38 from other New England colleges."

John Parker, "sergeant, of Billerica, was its first town clerk and a valued citizen. He married the widow Marie Poulter and [died without issue].  Noted for his philanthropies, he made a generous donation to Harvard College in November 1657 in behalf of his brother James. In 1666 he was one of those who ran the boundary of Haverhill."

The widow of John Poulter (d. 1639 Raleigh, Co. Essex, England), Mary (or Marie), "came to America with her three children [Mary, Elizabeth & John] before 1654 in which year Elizabeth married in Boston Jonathan Danforth.  Poulter subsequently married two of the most outstanding men of the community, (2) Sergeant John Parker, brother of Jacob Parker and resident of Woburn in 1649 and Billerica in 1654. His estate which had been large was insolvent at his death largely because of his noted philanthropies. His widow married (3) April 16, 1674, at Billerica, Thomas Chamberlain of Chelmsford as his second wife. She died February 8, 1692, [at age] 88."

James Parker, "captain, lived first in Charlestown, was a grantee at Billerica, then lived in Woburn from ca 1640 to 1652 and married there in 1643, Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Long of Charlestown. In 1652, he was living in Chelmsford but removed in 1660 to Groton where he was a leading citizen; married (2) Eunice --. He died in Groton in 1701 [at age] 83; his 11 children were from his first marriage."

Abraham Parker, "appeared in Woburn with his brother James before 1640 and was sworn a freeman in 1645. He married Rose Whitlock there, November 18 , 1644. After 1652, he settled in Chelmsford and married (2) in June 1672, Sarah Parker. Jacob's daughter chose as her guardian her 'uncle Abram Parker'. He died August 12, 1685. His estate was administered by his brother James, and his widow Sarah died November 13, 1691. Abraham's ten children were from his first marriage."

Joseph Parker, "had a residence and landholdings in each of the four towns where James had interests. Besides Woburn, Billerica, Chelmsford and Groton, he probably lived in Dunstable in 1673. He married Rebecca Read, June 24, 1655; married (2) Mary, and (3) before 1653, Marget."

Jacob Parker, "the fifth brother, was born in England, probably circa 1625, and came to America ca 1635 and lived in Woburn for a time but settled at Chelmsford which he helped found in 1653 and where he was the first town clerk, continuing in that capacity until his death in 1669. He was a selectman from 1662 on. His home is said to have been near that of his brother Abraham on the south side of the road to Billerica. The majority of land owners here had but six acres each; three had twelve acres, but Jacob had seventeen and only two had more than he. February 1, 1667, he was appointed by the selectmen as one of a committee of three to see that lot-holders build and maintain fences to contain the live stock. In 1668 a court record called Jacob a brother of John. deceased. Jacob and his wife Sarah were married about 1650; as his widow she married (2)August 4. 1675. as his second wife, the distinguished Captain John Waite of Malden; she died there January 13, 1708, [at age] 81, her gravestone inscribed: 'Ye Memory of ye Just is blessed.'" 
CAMPBELL (Balleghan), DOUGLAS(S) (Carrowhugh) - Lower Moville, Co. Donegal
HUSBAND(S) (Sneem), SULLIVAN (Kenmare) - Kenmare, Co. Kerry
KEARNEY (Kilmurry/Castleisland), O'CONNOR (Shanaknock/Ballymacelligott) - Tralee, Co. Kerry
KEEFFE (Ballyhooly), HARRINGTON (Rathnadarrahy), DILLON - Castletownroche, Co. Cork
Note: My Irish ancestors ended up in Boston, Massachusetts area of U.S. between 1880 & 1905.

Offline BPP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 June 05 02:12 BST (UK) »
Again many thanks Amy M.

Brian