Author Topic: Online Book Publishers, eg Lulu, Blurb  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Online Book Publishers, eg Lulu, Blurb
« on: Thursday 24 April 14 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

I am doing a holiday photo book at the moment with one of the above firms, and then I plan to do a photo book displaying the official photos of all the sports teams that one of our families appeared in.

My question is - what is a good font and size to use - I do have lots of written material for both books. At the moment I am using "Lucida Sans", 12 point, but it seems too big.
And none of my books, ie from the library, are kind enough to tell me their font and size.

Any experience in self publishing out there?

Regards
Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Online Book Publishers, eg Lulu, Blurb
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 April 14 09:54 BST (UK) »
Have just answered my question ;D

I googled "fonts and sizes for photo books" and have enough reading for some time.

Regards
Jean

Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 April 14 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

I can't help re Font Face but if you are doing a photo book using official photos you do need to consider possible copyright of the photos.

Andy

Offline jackhonour

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 April 14 16:42 BST (UK) »
In future, look at Photoworld/Jessops Photo (same company but different names). They have a live chat function and have been very helpful when I've made photobooks in the past, you can ask them questions about the font or layout and they usually answer very quickly.

Prices vary between the two sites so if you do go with them in the future, make sure you check for the cheapest price. And also try haggling with them as I managed to gain an extra discount.

Jack

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 April 14 03:32 BST (UK) »
Andy,

I had not though about copyright. The photos are from the 1920's - 1930's - and are official team photos - so I will check with some one as to what I can do with them.

Thank You

Jean

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 April 14 03:34 BST (UK) »
Jack,

It seem as though there are now lots of programmes like this. Jessops does get some good reviews.

Thank You
Jean

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 April 14 22:49 BST (UK) »
I used Garamond 11pt for my paperback:

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/books_by_paul_robinson

If you're publishing in eBook format it doesn't really matter (provided that your text looks correct relative to any pictures/diagrams) as users will view it on so many different devices that it will get zoomed in/out as required.

The best advice I can offer is to use text 'styles' consistently throughout your manuscript while writing; it is painful to have to format the entire book afterwards. Also, resist the temptation to insert blank lines with the 'enter' key and use 'heading' styles for titles etc. Also, also (!), once you think you have it right, order a single copy to check - I discovered that my page numbers were incorrectly positioned due to incorrect formatting. Once you're happy with everything you can 'release' your masterpiece to the world at large. Consider this if relevant: http://www.bl.uk/aboutus/legaldeposit/

The advantage that Lulu offers is ease of distribution in various formats - you can publish in 'proper' book format and various eBook formats easily and get your work into various distribution channels eg. Amazon, iBookstore, Barnes & Noble etc. Their forums are also very helpful for new authors.

I have another book about 75% complete and intend to publish that with Lulu too so I guess that's a strong recommendation :D

Paul

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 April 14 23:09 BST (UK) »
Amazon produces a free e-book which gives details of required fonts and formats for e-books which is very useful.

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 April 14 23:48 BST (UK) »
Andy,

I had not though about copyright. The photos are from the 1920's - 1930's - and are official team photos - so I will check with some one as to what I can do with them.

Thank You

Jean

Normally copyright lasts for 70 years after the year of publication so 1920s & 1930s material should be ok
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex