Author Topic: The Two Lions  (Read 6259 times)

Offline westlass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Two Lions
« Reply #9 on: Friday 25 April 14 19:55 BST (UK) »
I will try and find out , but as far as I know its a listed building and had to stay as it was , maybe your friend has got what was out buildings , at this stage you know more than me , and I pass the place on my way to work , and I am going to have a good look and see whats going on , regards Westlass

Offline Kincaid444

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 April 14 20:01 BST (UK) »
No, she is definitely in the main building - you must pass the Animal Rescue shop then - opposite the bookies and askance from the Two Lions . . . .  you must pop in on a saturday morning when I am there - I manage it with a colleague . . .

Bill
The early bird gets the worm - but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 April 14 20:12 BST (UK) »
The "listing" http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-72855-two-lions-public-house-and-integral-stabl

(That's the correct URL without an "e" at the end :))
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Kincaid444

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 April 14 20:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that Geoff - Penrith is a lovely little town with lots of historical building and a lot going on - unfortunately it is suffering a bit commercially with lots of shops closed

Bill

Offline westlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 April 14 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hello again , Archives , Cumberland and Westmorland Herald , Parasols up at the Two Lions , Friday 17 august 2012 , Note to Me , read Change of use , planning permission more ,  Westlass

Offline JeanGris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 April 14 08:46 BST (UK) »
Are you sure the lady has not bought at Two Lions Square, 3 bed semi asking price was £160.000? The Planning permission in 2012 on the Two Lions was to carry out necessary work on the outside of the building. The windows at the back of the building were reinstated etc -  Reason - To safeguard the character, appearance and integrity of the listed building. The building has not been for sale, nor split into two units. If you look through the windows in any part of the building, it remains the same - only work to take out newer extensions etc.  Full details can be seen on Eden District Council website.
Author of  THE GRISENTHWAITE NAME THROUGH TIME
Also researching:
Affleck; Holmes; Wilkinson; Watson

Offline Kincaid444

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 April 14 05:38 BST (UK) »
Good morning Jean . . . .  that certainly provides food for thought . . . I am seeing her on Tuesday morning and will dig deeper . . . . she is certainly under the impression she is living in the refurbished Two Lion premises . . . . most of our shop volunteers have been to her place to marvel and I guess it's my turn next . .   will report back.

Bill

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 27 April 14 09:36 BST (UK) »
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline JeanGris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 April 14 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff
That's what I had in mind too (earlier posting).  The Two Lions looks a lot better now - it was on the 'at risk' register and was taken off in October 2013 after some outside work on the roof, and some inside work carried out so it did not deteriorate any further - English Heritage website says that the Grade II* 16th century Two Lions Pub, which sits in a conservation area in Penrith has been repaired. It had been previously left to deteriorate for a number of years - as your photo shows.

I would very much doubt that half of the Two Lions (which is a huge building) would sell for £155,000, as when complete renovation work is carried out it would not just entail putting plaster on the walls etc. The inside would have to be carefully renovated to strict Grade II listed building specifications to bring the building back to its former glory. 

I have to admit to spending a good few nights out in the Two Lions when I was a young thing  ;)
Author of  THE GRISENTHWAITE NAME THROUGH TIME
Also researching:
Affleck; Holmes; Wilkinson; Watson