Author Topic: Benjamin LOWE B.1854 - my family history - I am from Australia  (Read 12112 times)

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin LOWE B.1854 - my family history - I am from Australia
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 27 April 14 12:10 BST (UK) »
 :)

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ is a good free site. Try a few practice searches for some of the people that groom has already found for you. It's very easy to use.

Offline geronamo2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 27 April 14 12:14 BST (UK) »
:)

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ is a good free site.

thanks after A LOT of research I have found 1 living relative right now who would be around 60yrs old thats the best I can find;

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 27 April 14 12:18 BST (UK) »
You may find that it isn't easy to find living relatives as they may have moved away from Birmingham.

It is a city of more than 1 million people and over the years many families have moved further out into the surrounding areas.

You may be lucky and find one relative straight away and they may be able to put you in touch with others, keep trying and good luck.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 27 April 14 15:01 BST (UK) »
thanks after A LOT of research I have found 1 living relative right now who would be around 60yrs old thats the best I can find;

That is good news. You are lucky. It can take years and years for some of us to find living relatives, and some of us never do. You find one in a matter of hours!

Once you contact them and confirm that you have common ancestors, without mentioning their names let us know how you get on.  :)

Offline geronamo2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 27 April 14 15:20 BST (UK) »

That is good news. You are lucky. It can take years and years for some of us to find living relatives, and some of us never do. You find one in a matter of hours!

Once you contact them and confirm that you have common ancestors, without mentioning their names let us know how you get on.  :)

thank you; well I am shy nervous to ring or mail this guy but I guess I have to try but I also may have found like a 4th cousin once removed in Australia too; and the hometown where my family came to in 1883 is only 150miles north from here so I may visit one day and see what I can find out; I am very greatful; I dont expect us to become best mates but i am curious just to see if there any relatives my age even if we are 4th or 5th cousins! I dont know how people can live without knowing where they came from and in a matter of 1 day I have traced my family line back to Birmingham 1780 :)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 27 April 14 15:44 BST (UK) »
How certain are you that this is a relation? As Ruskie said it often takes a lot of checking - certainly more than one day to be sure that you have the right family, especially when the name is reasonably common. If you contact this person you need to take it carefully and ask if they know anything about the family and establish the common ancestor. Be prepared for rejection as some people are not interested.

Please don't just accept all the information I gave you about the family, you do need to check it for yourself and get certificates to back it up.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline geronamo2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 27 April 14 15:47 BST (UK) »
How certain are you that this is a relation? As Ruskie said it often takes a lot of checking - certainly more than one day to be sure that you have the right family, especially when the name is reasonably common. If you contact this person you need to take it carefully and ask if they know anything about the family and establish the common ancestor. Be prepared for rejection as some people are not interested.

Please don't just accept all the information I gave you about the family, you do need to check it for yourself and get certificates to back it up.

Obviously I have gone thru all the Australian sites and British sites and matched up the names and dates and all the relatives/parents/kids/ found numerous articles from local newspapers and birth/death certs; enough to make me 90% sure for now I am still doing more research and talk to people to find out more; as there was a separation when my side of the family moved to Australia but I have found a member of the history site who has compiled a HUGE family tree with tons of information and it all appears to line up :) so I will take caution but still find out more!

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 27 April 14 21:56 BST (UK) »
Something fairly basic and I'm not sure if you have already done this, but if you have elderly relatives it is a good idea to talk to them. They may be able to tell you stories about their own cousins or other more distant relatives. They may be able to confirm if the person/s you found is a relative. Obviously make sure you write down on paper everything they tell you, and be prepared for some inaccuracies or family stories which aren't quite true (intentionally or otherwise). :)

Groom is right. There are actually many people who aren't interested in family history. Sometimes if there is a scandal people are very reluctant to talk about it, even if it was nothing by today's standards. And you do need to purchase at least some certificates to make sure you are tracing the right family. Even something as simple as seeing a family on a census and presuming that you are looking at parents and their children, can be wrong. I was nearly caught out when all the children in a family I was tracing had a different mother from the one on the census - the father had remarried. Luckily I bought the birth certificate showing the correct mother or I would have gone completely down the wrong track.

Good luck anyway, and just be a bit cautious - do not rush - and back up your research with certificates.

Offline geronamo2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 27 April 14 22:00 BST (UK) »
Something fairly basic and I'm not sure if you have already done this, but if you have elderly relatives it is a good idea to talk to them. They may be able to tell you stories about their own cousins or other more distant relatives. They may be able to confirm if the person/s you found is a relative. Obviously make sure you write down on paper everything they tell you, and be prepared for some inaccuracies or family stories which aren't quite true (intentionally or otherwise). :)

Groom is right. There are actually many people who aren't interested in family history. Sometimes if there is a scandal people are very reluctant to talk about it, even if it was nothing by today's standards. And you do need to purchase at least some certificates to make sure you are tracing the right family. Even something as simple as seeing a family on a census and presuming that you are looking at parents and their children, can be wrong. I was nearly caught out when all the children in a family I was tracing had a different mother from the one on the census - the father had remarried. Luckily I bought the birth certificate showing the correct mother or I would have gone completely down the wrong track.

Good luck anyway, and just be a bit cautious - do not rush - and back up your research with certificates.

thank you; I have gone as far as I can to find as much info as I can; but my next step will be getting a hold of ANY birth/marriage cert i can find and make sure the names match on that as well.

thanks