Author Topic: Jemima Jenkins  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jemima Jenkins
« on: Monday 28 April 14 02:12 BST (UK) »
Jemima Jenkins was born c 1973, daughter of John Jenkins, farmer & Deborah nee Walmsley as per her marriage cert when she married Peter Lawson, widower with 4 children, in Paisley, Scotland in 1902. She is listed as a spinster, though family members say she had a daughter, Margaret Jenkins, and a son who later went to south Africa. I have tried for ages to find anything about her, without luck, until recently in the 1911 Scotland Census I found that she was born in Ireland, as well as Maggie, dau aged 19 born in Ireland (the surnames are all Lawson in the census). Margaret Jenkins later received a certificate for long service from Brown & Polsons, where many of the Lawson family worked. Does anyone have any ideas of what to try next?
Thanks

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jemima Jenkins
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 April 14 06:35 BST (UK) »

Here are a couple of speculative suggestions that I couldn't forge into anything more definite in the way of a lead, so just worth noting for the meantime until you can rule in or out.

GRONI online has a civil birth registered in Irvinestown, County Fermanagh, for a Margaret Junkin on 3 February 1892.  The mother's maiden name is left blank.  The RootsIreland website brings back the same record when you cite "Jemima" as the Mother's first name.

GRONI online also has a civil birth registered in Omagh, County Tyrone, for a Jemima Wambsley on 25 June 1873. The mother's maiden name is left blank.  The RootsIreland website brings back the same record when you cite "Deborah" as the Mother's first name.

There appears to be quite a little cluster of folk with the surname Walmsley (and variants) in County Fermanagh, familysearch even has a couple of Irvinestown deaths for the forename/surname combination of Deborah Walmsley, it would make you wonder if there is possibly a wider family connection with your Jemima's mother Deborah.

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jemima Jenkins
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 April 14 13:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gaffy, I'll see if I can make anything of it.