Author Topic: Patrick HEFFERNAN  (Read 18728 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick HEFFERNAN
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 06:15 BST (UK) »
Do we know who P Heffernan was?

Mr P Heffernan and his ventriloquism  and P Heffernan, ploughman  pronouncing the ploughs first class…. From the Narromine News and Trangie Advocate Fri 28 Jan 1898
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/99227082
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/99227069

Thomas becomes a grandfather (perhaps?, the cutting implies Mrs H’s son’s surname is Mooring, likely Leonard G MOORING and Sarah OC TRUE married the previous year at Narromine #13244)
 http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/119994494 Narromine News & Trangie Adv.  29 April 1925

Thomas and his good wife retire
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/119992397 Narromine News & Trangie Adv 25 May 1927

27 years in Trangie
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/119987326 Narromine News & Trangie Adv 1 June 1927

NSW BDM marriage
1906 Thomas Heffernan and Edith E MOORING marriage registered Sydney #6455     I wonder who the witnesses were for that 1906 marriage, fingers crossed that Thomas asked Patrick and Ada Heffernan’s family members to be official witnesses.   I think Edith was previous married to Alfred S MOORING, and that her son Leonard was born 1899, registered Dubbo #20539    I can see a death indexed 1901 for an Alfred S MOORING, (#1978)

I hope I am not getting too far off track, but I am trying to confirm or eliminate Thomas HEFFERNAN as a possible relative of Patrick HEFFERNAN …. Afterall, there’s that 1903 Electoral Roll entry showing Ada, Patrick and Thomas all at Trangie.  Of course, no street address, so possibly all at different households in the small community likely around the Railway Station. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline dog_foster_carer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 06:21 BST (UK) »
I've just ordered transcripts of Olive Heffernans marriage and death, Sidney Arthur Heffernan's death and William Sidney Heffernan's marriage.  I'm hoping there will be some further info on them.  I'll have to wait and see if on Olive's marriage cert it says that Patrick is deceased or not. If so, he couldn't be the one that died in 1931.  It would be interesting if the T Heffernan in the trove obit was Patricks brother as he would've been born around 1852 - about the right timeline.
No, I don't know who the Patrick Heffernan, Reefer Hotel, Wagga is but it could possibly be him or his father perhaps? 
Selmes / Matson / MacGregor / Nottle families - England and Australia
Whittaker / Meakin / Flood families - England and Ireland
Mitchell / Thomson / McGill / Auld families - Scotland and Australia
Auld / Scott / Robson families - England
Rawson / Grady / Geary families - England and Ireland
Wolf / Tag / Oberdorf families - Germany
Milton / Watt / Laurence / Bremner families - Scotland
Raffan / Wood / Fordyce / Murray families - Scotland

Offline dog_foster_carer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 06:28 BST (UK) »

I hope I am not getting too far off track, but I am trying to confirm or eliminate Thomas HEFFERNAN as a possible relative of Patrick HEFFERNAN …. Afterall, there’s that 1903 Electoral Roll entry showing Ada, Patrick and Thomas all at Trangie.  Of course, no street address, so possibly all at different households in the small community likely around the Railway Station.

Cheers,  JM

Funny you should say living around the railway station as cando mention in their post:

New South Wales Electoral roll 1903

Division Robertson  Sub division Trangie
HEFFERNAN Ada  Trangie  Domestic duties
HEFFERNAN Michael  Trangie  Labourer
HEFFERNAN Patrick  Trangie  Engine driver
HEFFERNAN Thomas Trangie  Hotel Keeper

I feel that this Patrick Heffernan, engine driver may be the one as the timline of the birth of the children is right.  Is there anyway of finding out railway personnel records from around that time?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 06:51 BST (UK) »
 :)  Might be worthwhile asking NSW SRO if they have records of NSW Government Railways employees for pre WWI.    I am aware that there's many records that have not yet been indexed, there's many that are part indexed, and there's indexes that are yet to be readied for uploading to their website.

Here's their contact email etc info http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/contact-us/contact-us   I find using the general enquiry email option is often the best way.

Agh, Cando has kindly confirmed my post  :)  ;)  :)  ;D  :D  ;D

NSW ER 1903 ROBERTSON,  polling at Trangie

Ada HEFFERNAN, of Trangie, domestic duties
Michael HEFFERNAN, of Trangie, labourer
Patrick HEFFERNAN, of Trangie, engine-driver
Thomas HEFFERNAN, of Trangie, hotelkeeper

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 07:01 BST (UK) »
Well, SRNSW has some NSWGR employee records for that era ....  ;D

http://investigator.records.nsw.gov.au/Entity.aspx?Path=\Series\19551   but this is for the Southern District.   Trangie is on the Main Western Line, and from a geographical point of view, is basically Western Division.    But, fingers crossed, the Western Line records were retained too.

Cheers,  JM

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 01 May 14 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie,
   I don't think the Patrick HEFFERNAN who died in 1912 is yours.  There was no mention of wife or de facto or any children and a vague mention of a gratuity from a brother (unnamed).   However the will was made shortly before his death while he was in hospital and he left everything to the nurse (Sister Mary) who was caring for him.  I did photograph it in case I missed something.

Interestingly (from the point of view of NSW research) the deceased estate which MAJM directed us to was missing - in fact all the deceased estates which had paid duty in February 1913 were missing.  The lady on staff did ask them to check in the bins either side but yes they were missing.   She then asked if I had checked for a probate packet and I said there was no mention online.   No there wouldn't be she said as none of the probate packets from 1890 to 1928 are indexed online and need to check the microfiche index.  This I did and found a probate reference and retrieved the probate packet.  I hadn't realised that there was this huge gap in online index before.   :o  (But yes it says so in heading if you read it properly)

I also expressed my surprise that there was both a deceased estate (potentially  ;D) and probate packet available as I thought it was one or the other.   The lady confirmed that probate packets contain a will and possibly death certs etc as well as the same info as in deceased estates (valuations) so they don't bother to keep deceased estates if there is a probate packet these days.  But in the early days they kept both.

I learnt a lot today  :D :) 

But sadly not much help to you  :(

cheers,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline dog_foster_carer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 01 May 14 08:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking into it Ros, at least I can cross him off the list of possibilities.  Hopefully one day another descendent of Patrick's, who may have been kept more up to date on the family history than I was, may join this forum and my questions may possibly get answered then.  I hope I'm still here to see it lol!  Again, thanks for your efforts, and I'm glad it wasn't a total waste of time and that you got some good 'other' information to use in the future.
Regards
dfc

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 01 May 14 10:32 BST (UK) »
I can add a couple more possibilities each time I visit State Records - about every four - six weeks.   Who knows we may be lucky  :)

cheers,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline dog_foster_carer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 01 May 14 11:15 BST (UK) »
I can add a couple more possibilities each time I visit State Records - about every four - six weeks.   Who knows we may be lucky  :)

cheers,
   Ros

That would be wonderful, you're a legend, thanks so much!  :D