Author Topic: Katherine McKenzie(Nee Spicer)b.1902..Where to find Emigration Details.  (Read 16175 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Katherine McKenzie(Nee Spicer)b.1902..Where to find Emigration Details.
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The age on the 1911 is wrong  - it is not unusual for an age to be incorrect on a census record. Ages, immigration dates, marriage dates, naturalization dates can all vary - the information is only as good as what the informant knows, it depends who gave the information to the enumerator. The father had lost his wife Kate when that 1911 census information was given, any one could have given information on the family, not necessarily the father.  Look at all the other information - A UK BMD record showing Kate born Aston September 1902 (6d 378) - (that covers July/August/September 1902) The baptism record shows birth and baptism dates in August 1902. The immigration record gives her correct age. The marriage record quotes the correct parents. Due to privacy laws in Canada information is usually hard to come by but in your case you have been very fortunate that so much was found. Are you reading the links that we give ? The message board posts of a relative referring to Kathryn Ann Cockerill as his great-grandmother - although the thread was old (2003 if I remember correctly - try and post a message to see if you can make contact with the male poster)
Can't do any more to convince you this is the correct person. Ignore the age on the 1911 census -

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 22:40 BST (UK) »
Is it possible that he wanted to escalate her age so as to be able for her to be eligible to emigrate to Canada?????...This would make more sense to me, do you  agree ?

That thought crossed my mind. However as Sandra said he had not long lost his wife and perhaps he didn't really know how old the children were, he'd left that sort of thing to her.

I agree with Sandra, I'm 99.9% sure it is the correct Kate, there are no other records around that show another person it could be. The baptism is the real clue as it gives her DOB and both parent's names. If we always relied on the census being correct as to dates and places of birth, most of us wouldn't have a hope of tracing relatives.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline zoolane

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Grandparents Oliver Thorn & Winifred Smith.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The age on the 1911 is wrong  - it is not unusual for an age to be incorrect on a census record. Ages, immigration dates, marriage dates, naturalization dates can all vary - the information is only as good as what the informant knows, it depends who gave the information to the enumerator. The father had lost his wife Kate when that 1911 census information was given, any one could have given information on the family, not necessarily the father.  Look at all the other information - A UK BMD record showing Kate born Aston September 1902 (6d 378) - (that covers July/August/September 1902) The baptism record shows birth and baptism dates in August 1902. The immigration record gives her correct age. The marriage record quotes the correct parents. Due to privacy laws in Canada information is usually hard to come by but in your case you have been very fortunate that so much was found. Are you reading the links that we give ? The message board posts of a relative referring to Kathryn Ann Cockerill as his great-grandmother - although the thread was old (2003 if I remember correctly - try and post a message to see if you can make contact with the male poster)
Can't do any more to convince you this is the correct person. Ignore the age on the 1911 census -

Sandra

Hi Sandra...

Just read your Posting...

All you and Jan have found  out seems to be OK... OK Hubby will forget the 1911 Census...Will go with what you have got ..

As you said, Alfred had lost his wife so he probably not in the right frame of mind.

So, ask another question....If I wanted to find out about Beatrice Cockerill in the Warwickshire lookup...Will I get the same problem..ie..1911 Census????
Thorn,Critchley,Smith,Bonehill,Rainbow,Upton.
Associated Families in Snitterfield and Stratford,Shipston on Stour
Wright Family of Wrights Ropes Ltd.,

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 22:57 BST (UK) »
This is the only Beatrice I can see

Beatrice Cockerill
Jul-Aug-Sep 1910
Southam Warwickshire
Volume:   6d  Page:   731

But that would make her only a few months old in 1911

I think this is more likely to be her

Births Dec 1906   
Cockerill    Beatrice        Aston    6d   283

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 23:00 BST (UK) »
Personally I believe the error on the 1911 was because they added Alfred George Cockerill twice - if you ignore the second entry and move the others up - that would make Kate 8 years - Nellie 6 years and Beatrice 4 years - Beatrice would then agree with Cockerill    Beatrice        Aston    6d   283

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 23:06 BST (UK) »
That makes perfect sense, Sandra. His wife's death was on the March quarter 1911, so he may still have been very confused.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 23:08 BST (UK) »
Looking at Birmingham Baptisms - Nellie was born 27 June 1905 and baptised 16 July 1905
Father Alfred Cockerill and Mother mis-transcribed as Hato instead of Kate Cockerill.
That would match the age of 6 years and not 4 years on the 1911.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 23:17 BST (UK) »
A Beatrice M Cockerill married William F Green - March 1926 - Birmingham S - 6d 215

There is a death record for BeatriceMay Green Born 31 August 1906 who died December 1986 Birmingham - aged 80 - Volume 32 Page 177

About 5 birth records that could match Green - Cockerill - 1926/1928/1930/1931/1934

Sandra

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 16 October 14 00:48 BST (UK) »
wow, what a great job you all did  on this thread...a real goldmine of info found for the poster

Just a reminder how off ages can be in the 1881 census Shresbury Shropshire, my Great Grandfather was 8 years out on his actual age...This would have been a "misguided brain to pen" thing for the enumerator...Maybe he was thinking of what he was going to have for lunch, as the actual numbers were not phonetically similar in any way. Perhaps with such a large group in the home, the numbers being shot at him were confusing   ;D  But I do thank goodness I already knew about him, and had an obit, as he was also listed as "boy" in the birth registration  ::) The obit, did, however have the wrong marriage year for him...hehe so there you go...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com