Author Topic: Image of birth record for Margaret Fahey  (Read 2629 times)

Offline jjjjjim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Image of birth record for Margaret Fahey
« on: Thursday 01 May 14 21:17 BST (UK) »
I have located what may be my great-great aunt in Ireland Births Civil Registration 1864 to Present.
From this index I have the following information:
DOB: February 27,1865
Parents: Patrick Fahey and Anne Grant
GS Film # 101042
Volume: 3
Page: 418
DF# 004187282
Image #00129

Through the Wiki on Family Search I requested a copy of the actual birth registration. I was advised that the information I had was not sufficient and only related to an index.

My question is how do I get from the Index to an Image?

Thx,
Inistioge, Ireland: Butler
Droheda area: Coogan
Liverpool: McDonald
?: Fahey

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Image of birth record for Margaret Fahey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 May 14 21:38 BST (UK) »
In most cases in most countries you would need to order a copy of that image from the Birth Marriage and Death registers applicable to that area. There is normally a cost involved to retrieve the records and mail out.
This will take you to the Irish board if you need help in establishing the right method to order.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?board=50.0

Neil

Thats a  bad stutter you have there JIM ;D
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 May 14 23:05 BST (UK) »
Here is a very looong thread where rootchatters discovered the wonderful free image service from familysearch www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=675688.0  There are quite a few tips there.

I followed their advice and received a lovely image of a marriage certificate from Victoria, Australia (instead of paying the money to download it from the Victorian BDM).  It took 2 weeks to arrive though.

regards,
   Ros
(but I see at the end of the thread that the service became very popular and the wait is now 6 or more weeks)
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 May 14 23:31 BST (UK) »
Interesting FREE service Ros. Never heard of it before, should be on the resources page? They have a new email service contact at.
support(at)familysearch.org

Good luck with ireland

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 May 14 00:59 BST (UK) »
This is the thread you need to look at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=599538.0
You can get the cert by email  now but you need to order it in writing but this can't be done by email ( sigh) but can be done by fax, people don't like to put credit card details in a fax so we phone them in as we send the fax. Of course you can also order by post.
Link to GRO Roscommon included in that thread.

Offline jjjjjim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 May 14 22:21 BST (UK) »
I thank each of you for taking the time to respond to my issue. Is there a "help" site or "FAQ" that explains the various film and image codes. I feel as if I may have the needed information but am not presenting it in a manner that yields results.

Inistioge, Ireland: Butler
Droheda area: Coogan
Liverpool: McDonald
?: Fahey

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 May 14 23:52 BST (UK) »
The film and image codes are FamilySearch's, I assume you would need them if you were ordering from FamilySearch but you don't need them to order the Cert from the GRO.
This is explained in the link I posted.

Each country has index books which can be searched to find BDMs this information is than used to order the cert.
FamilySearch has the index they do not have the Certs, so you now have all the information they have and can order the Cert.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 May 14 00:11 BST (UK) »
But you have to pay for the certs from GRO whereas you can get the certs free from FamilySearch,
 Sinann  :).

I found it difficult to complete the form jjjjjim as the requested field names were different from the given field names.  I achieved it by trial and error (it tells you if it is an invalid number).   Like an idiot I didn't make note of my successful result.   But I will try to recreate it ...

cheers,
   Ros

adding : Or you could visit your local FamilySearch centre and request an image of the cert as in the old days - they charge you postage I think.
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 May 14 01:05 BST (UK) »
But FamilySearch don't have Certs.