Author Topic: William H and Joseph Vincent .. Where did they Go?  (Read 28749 times)

Offline New Zealander

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William H and Joseph Vincent .. Where did they Go?
« Reply #45 on: Monday 08 December 14 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Over time I have become "lost" with this Vincent inquiry.

Joseph Vincent has been identified and located.  He is interred in the Karoro Cemetery, Greymouth. Likewise his wife Mary (they  separted in 1886) who subsequently married twice more and appears likely interred in the Bromley Cemetery, Christchurch.  Currently I am waiting for a Death Printout to confirm.

This then leaves William H Vincent.

As suggested in an earlier post thread I spent some time on the Australian "Trove" site with out a result.

He has to be some where and I am just devoid of answers right now  :(

Alex G :(
Glasgow .. Glennie/Bryce, Aberdeenshire .. Glennie/ Grassick,
Clackmannanshire .. Bryce/Miller
Arbroath .. Spink
Oxfordshire .. Green
Cornwall .. Vincent

Ireland (Cobh) .. Sullivan

New Zealand .. Glennie/Bryce/Grassick/Spink/Palmer

Chatham Islands .. Rewai

Australia .. Glennie/Ross/Lusk

Offline New Zealander

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 10:59 BST (UK) »
From information posted on another board I found a William Vincent interred in the Southern Cemetery in Dunedin.

I received the Death Printout today and can confirm that I have the correct William Henry Vincent that I have been searching for some considerable time.

He was born on 21.07.1844 and died on 18.05.1899 aged 55 years.  The Death record  and the Burial record in the Southern Cemetery in Dunedin are incorrect.  Both his age his record as 58 years.

However the Death Printout correctly records his parents as William Vincent and Mary Vincent nee Rowe and his place of birth in Cornwall, England.  His length of time in New Zealand .. 38 years .. is correct on both the Death and Burial record.

Thank you everyone for your assistance and help.

Alex G ;D
Arbroath .. Spink
Oxfordshire .. Green
Cornwall .. Vincent

Chatham Islands .. Rewai

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 11:07 BST (UK) »
Good one Alex .... glad you can now add that leaf to the twig. :D

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline New Zealander

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 22:25 BST (UK) »
I wondered if the death was some sort paupers grave / burial?

The address given for William Vincent was Walker Street now Carroll Street near central Dunedin. A play on Google shows that at the time of his death Walker Street was a very "poor area" of the city.

The informant on Death Cert for William Vincent was the funeral director Hugh Gourley. It would be likely that he wouldn't know the deceased and took a "stab" at his age, hence the error.

I think that at best William Vincent died a lonely death and that no one really knew him. I am unaware of any other Vincent family in Dunedin at that time. They were all further north in Waimate, Christchurch and on the West Coast.

There is also one other burial in the plot a John Craik in 1886. Craik ex Christchurch was from Dumfries in Scotland and had been in New Zealand about 25 years.  I have no idea what the Craik connection might be with the Vincent family.

There is no headstone on the grave.

I will be visiting Cornwall next August and will be donating the Vincent family record to the appropriate Cornwall Archives so nice to get something correct.

My thoughts for what they are worth.

Alex G ;D
Arbroath .. Spink
Oxfordshire .. Green
Cornwall .. Vincent

Chatham Islands .. Rewai

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 22:28 BST (UK) »
It is nice that he has been found and recognised after such a long time  :)

Cheers Janette

Offline Gwila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 09:06 BST (UK) »
For those following this thread the NZ Police Gazette is now available in digital form via the 'Papers Past' website. There you will find several entries about Joseph Vincent regarding the abandoning of his children and the years that the court chased him for contributions.  At least 3 of his children ended up in the Industrial School System when Mary spent a prolonged time in hospital and mother and neighbours were unable to provide.  He did several stints in gaol for failure to provide, throughout the 1880's but mostly skipped away including hiding out on Stewart Island.  This may explain why one of the posts here says he has no issue. Not interest anyway.  His brother Peter was living in Woodlands Invercargill at this time and William was living at Mabel Bush also in Southland.  I can supply some links to this.  Throughout the posts here  Joseph's age varies considerably. According to the Police records it would seem he would have been asked for his age and it varies between 1849 and and 1853.  So his birth and age at death should not be treated as gospel.  I am no relation  but doing research on the children who went through the Industrial School system. At least Joseph Jr, James and Elizabeth Mary (Married name Lukey) were in the system.  Coincidentally my ex-husband is related to this family through Meri Harper.  The book that is mentioned although very useful has lots of errors, in particular with the Vincent family and some members of the Vincent side have endeavoured to have corrections made and met with less than polite resistance.

Offline Kiwimacca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 22:21 GMT (UK) »
I have just found this thread and followed with great interest.  My Grandmother was Alice Vincent/Benbow/Hopkinson.  Mary Vincent (Joseph Vincent's wife) was the mother of Alice as a result of a liaison? with a Daniel Low.  I have very little information on Mary and Daniel (and Joseph for that matter), as children we were always led to believe that Alice's parents died in a car accident? I would be very keen to know more of Mary and Joseph and there children.  Thank you 9 March 2023