Author Topic: Illegitimacy and Irish birth certificates  (Read 5754 times)

Offline loudam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitimacy and Irish birth certificates
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 20:24 BST (UK) »
If you haven't gotten the marriage cert do get it!! Some certs I've come across have been registered months after the marriage took place, some of the time the marriage only took place a few months before the first child was born, so while the index might say January 1878 it might have actully taken place months before hand...
O Riordan/Riordan / Dorgan/ Barry (Cork & Rathcooney)
O Sullivan & O Shea/Shea (Cork)
O Connell (Cork)
Walsh (Cork & Killarney)
Baldwin & Stanton, Sullivan, (Cork)
Lonergan (Cork, Tipperary, Limerick)
Deady ( Cork-Kanturk)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 July 14 00:31 BST (UK) »
My Grandmother is the youngest of six children and the only one still living.
Like myself, she was highly amused, when I discovered that she was the only one born in wedlock!  :o ;D
On all six of the children's birth certs, my Great-Grandmother is recorded as 'formerly....' and my Great-Grandfather appears on all of them too.
My Great-Grandmother wore an engagement and wedding ring, and none of the living members of the family knew about the marriage - which took place 11 years after the first child was born, and not in the local church, but the registry office, of a neighbouring town!
It's my impression that it was quite easy to pull off the pretence of being married. I don't think the Registrar would ask for any kind of proof??
Kind regards, Glen.
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 July 14 07:45 BST (UK) »
My grandma is number 7 out of 10 children,her parents only married when she was 14,21 years after the first of their 10 children was born.

Every birth cert says Amy Rogers formerly Rapkin (except they fibbed!)
I'd love to know why they didn't marry till 1914,and then why they chose then to marry.

No checks were made then,nor were they when I married in 1973,no one asked to see proof of marital status of even our birth certs.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 July 14 13:53 BST (UK) »
Just recently discovered an illegitamate birth thanks to the new Irish Genealogy site giving mothers maiden name,fathers name on cert giving appearance of married couple however no marriage recorded for them and the mother later got married to a different spouse within 3 years,no sign of the child after her birth,no death recorded for her.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 July 14 15:31 BST (UK) »
Also my grand uncle Hugh O'Neill married Kathleen Gillespie in 1920 it took me years to find his marriage because it does not appear on Family Search till 1946 in Dublin North which i bought to show he was indeed married in 1920 no idea why registered so late.
Searching the new Irish Genealogy civil index shows his marriage reg in 1920.