Author Topic: William Webster Bendigo Victoria  (Read 4717 times)

Offline budsyblues

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Webster Bendigo Victoria
« on: Monday 05 May 14 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I'm having trouble getting back any distance on my maternal grandfather's side of my tree, any help here would be greatly appreciated.
My paternal great, great grandfather's name was William Webster and his wife's name was Bridget.
My great grandmother's name was Isabella Glasgow Webster, she was born in Bendigo in 1867, her mother was Ann Glasgow according to he birth record, but they could have been her Christian names.
I can't find any records of an Ann Glasgow having been born in Australia, but she died in Bendigo in 1899, her death notice lists her as Ann Glasgow Webster.
I have found a reference to a William Webster being killed in a mine accident in Bendigo in 1868 aged 30, the year after Isabella's birth, I can't find any record of any siblings of Isabella so it's possible that he died when she was an infant and that he and Ann had no other children.
I've searched the early Victorian marriage records to no avail, and I can't find anything in the shipping records which suggest that William and Bridget Webster arrived here as a married couple, with or without children.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: William Webster Bendigo Victoria
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 May 14 00:39 BST (UK) »
Ann's death notice in 1899 says she is beloved wife of William Webster which implies that he is still alive  ???

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article89457458

WEBSTER.—On the 7th February, at her
residence, Anderson-street, Ann Glasgow Webster,
beloved wife of William Webster, and sister of
the late Mrs. John McLean, aged 67 years.

regards,
   Ros

adding : and this death notice which just says she is beloved wife of William Webster http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article89461479
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 May 14 03:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, welcome to RootsChat, the bestest place for family history searchings....

Like Ros, I too am a tad concerned about William, as I can see that the chap involved in that mining accident had either four or five children as per the newspaper cutting.

But getting onto Isabella, I can see Isabella Glasgow WEBSTER, birth registration INDEXED as
Father:  William WEBSTER
Mother: Anne GLASGOW
Birth registered at Sandhurst Victoria AUSTRALIA (present day Bendigo, Vic Au)
Registered in 1867
Registration No. 10750

From Victoria Resources Board at RChat
Vic BDMs are very informative ….  And will include details about BOTH parents (including when and where married), and the maiden name for the baby's mum is part of that info, so it is likely that GLASGOW was Ann's birth surname

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,373754.0.html

Births   
 Date and place of birth;
 name of child and whether present or not;
 name of parents (including mother's maiden name);
 occupation of parents;
 ages and birthplace of parents;
 date and place of marriage of parents;
 previous children of their marriage noting living or deceased;
 signature, description and address of the person who gave the information;
 names of witnesses;
 date and place of registation.

To support this, the online INDEX has Ann WEBSTER’s death indexed as Ann WEBSTER, at Bendigo, Victoria at age 67.  Her recorded parents given as Wm GLASGOW and Janet THOMSON.   Registration no. 556. From the link above, Victoria’s DEATH cert are also very informative.   

Re the 1868 death of a William WEBSTER at Bendigo.    I am concerned that this is NOT your chap, as you have Isabella likely being an only child.  The online INDEX has a William WEBSTER as aged 30, reference #9327, parents details are NOT displayed on that index, suggesting to me there was an Inquest and the coroner was the informant, and perhaps the family history section is not giving up as many pieces of information as we would expect.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/87893180  Fatal Accident Bendigo Advertiser 7 Jan 1868 …..
“The deceased have both left wives and families, one five children, the other four,
to mourn their loss."

There is information about William Webster’s funeral in the Bendigo Advertiser 9 January 1868.   
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/87893238

Inquest Bendigo Advertister 9 Jan 1868 http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/87893245

Collection Bendigo Advertiser 17 Jan 1868 http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/87893432

I will ask for this thread to be moved to the Australian Board, where it should catch the eyes of lots of Aussie RChatters.  :)

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 May 14 03:05 BST (UK) »
There is a birth of a sister (perhaps a twin?)

1867 Agnes Watson WEBSTER   father William WEBSTER and mother Ann Glasgow in Sandhurst Victoria
reg 10749

and adding
1871  Thomas James WEBSTER father William WEBSTER and mother ANN Glasgow in Sandhurst Victoria
reg 25926
regards,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 May 14 03:14 BST (UK) »
My paternal great, great grandfather's name was William Webster and his wife's name was Bridget.

If Isabella's parents were William and Ann, then who is Bridget?

Ann WEBSTER
Died:    Bendigo, Victoria
Father's Name:    Wm GLASGOW
Mother's name:    Janet THOMSON
# 556

Isabella's birth cert or Ann's death cert should give you her place of birth, and the birth cert should also tell you when and where they married.

I can't find any record of any siblings of Isabella so it's possible that he died when she was an infant and that he and Ann had no other children.

I can see two other births to William and Ann; Agnes Watson WEBSTER at Sandhurst in 1867 (consecutive reg. number with Isabella, so as Ros has said, probably a twin), and Thomas James WEBSTER at Sandhurst in 1871.

Ann's sister:

Mary McLEAN
Died:    Sandhurst, Victoria
Father's Name:    Wm GLASGOW

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 May 14 03:47 BST (UK) »
Re the twin sisters  :)

Both Isabella and Agnes seem  to have married
1888 Agnes Watson WEBSTER and Stephen BRADRY, #2392, Victoria  (cert may show if a parent was already deceased)
1885  Isabella Glasgow WEBSTER and Andrew James CHARLES #4095  Victoria

Their younger brother's birth certificate will give info about his older siblings as well as info about his parents, (usual address, name of informant, when and where married, etc, father's occupation at the time of Thomas' birth  :) etc )  Thomas James WEBSTER born several years after that January 1868 mining accident. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rwindsor2905

• RootsChat Extra
  • Descendants of John Chapman of North Marston
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 May 14 03:57 BST (UK) »
Re the twin sisters  :)
1885  Isabella Glasgow WEBSTER and Andrew James CHARLES #4095  Victoria

After the death of Andrew James CHARLES, Isabella married Henry CARR and I have some details at home.

Chapman from Haddenham to North Marston, Buckinghamshire; Bradwin in Haddenham, Buckinghamshire; Cox in  Haddenham, Buckinghamshire and may be more Haddenham families as I make my journey back in time :)

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 May 14 06:49 BST (UK) »
I've searched the early Victorian marriage records to no avail...

The indexes show that Ann GLASGOW was married twice:

Marriage 1.

GLASGOW Annie m. LESLIE William 1862 #4237

Marriage 2.

LESLIE Ann (born LANARKSHIRE) m. WEBSTER William (born. LANCASHIRE) 1866 #3966

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 May 14 07:05 BST (UK) »
I can't find any records of an Ann Glasgow having been born in Australia, but she died in Bendigo in 1899, her death notice lists her as Ann Glasgow Webster.

Birth & Baptism in SCOTLAND:

Anne GLASGOW
Born: 14 Sep 1828
Baptised: 21 Sep 1828
Place: Crawford, Lanark, Scotland
Father: William GLASGOW
Mother: Janet THOMSON