Author Topic: vessels leaving UK for USA 1820  (Read 520 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
vessels leaving UK for USA 1820
« on: Monday 05 May 14 11:45 BST (UK) »
I have posted a few threads on this subject but am trying a new question this time, with apologies to any who replied before.

My gt x3 grandfather, Edward Redman from West Sussex, Jane second wife and children left England April 1820 for USA. This info was obtained from copy of  register of births for all his children from 1st and 2nd marriages. From previous replies i think he left from London and arrived Philadelphia July 1820. However on all documents I have found the number of children varies and there are no Christian names. For same vessel we have Mr and Mrs ? Redman, son and daughter, seven children. Another says 6 children, another 4! Then we have Mr Redman gender female.  All on same vessel. My question how accurate are these lists. But I have a disinformation
docket saying Mr and Mrs Redman, son and daughter, 7 children.

I am as sure as I can be that I have found the 7 children in Indiana, their details give correct father,  dob and  birthplace England. This would tie in with vessel arriving in Philadelphia if they settled in Indiana.

Following in on from this perhaps it is possible to find other vessels that left UK at same time. If there were none with Redmans perhaps I do have correct vessel.

Basically I need to be sure of the departure I have and that it is  him. It is driving me mad, I am so near and yet so far.

He had 7 children with second wife, 4 with first.
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: vessels leaving UK for USA 1820
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 May 14 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

Information was very scant on early passenger lists and I only see the same as what you have already pointed out - don't think you will find any further positive proof regarding the number of children.  Those early census returns for 1830/40 only give the name of the Family Head, then the rest was broken down in categories of sex and age.
Have you contacted the Posey County Historian/Historical Society to see if they can help with further info re the death of Edward Redman 31/1/1831. That could be either father or son  ???

http://www.indianahistory.org/our-services/local-history-services/local-history-contacts/posey-county

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 May 14 17:41 BST (UK) »
There is a lady who has done a lot of research into Redman family by the looks of things - will send you the contact details just in case you haven't come across her.  Seems there may be a "Redmon" family bible somewhere as well  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 May 14 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

Thanks again. Now why didn't I think of Indiana history? Sometimes others can see what I should do when I can't! That's the problem having no one in family interested.

Anyone researching Redman is worth a try, have contacted a few but no good, apart from 3rd cousin in Canada, but I know more  than she does!

Jane
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

Fingers crossed you can get some positive information on Edward Redman.  They seem to use the name through the next generations.  Would be interested to hear how you get on if you have time.

Good Luck
Sandra