Author Topic: Can anyone read latin?  (Read 635 times)

Offline ange

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Can anyone read latin?
« on: Monday 05 May 14 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can anyone help me with my GGrandmothers baptism record? For some reason there is some writing in latin on the register (it's a catholic baptism) The first part is crossed out but the second seems to refer to her marriage to George Douglas in 1916, what really interests me is the crossed out part as the wording is the same as the second and if it is then it refers to a marriage noone knew about and may point towards my grandfathers unknown father (it is dated Feb 1911 & he was born in Jul). None of the other entries on the page have notations like this so it is a bit of a mystery as to why it's there.

All help is much appreciated.

Ange
researching: Evans, Smith, Soundie, Brookfield, Frost, Douglas, Heron, Weaver,Redmond, Blackford, Furmedge & McKittrick

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone read latin?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 00:25 BST (UK) »
(deleted lines)
Ipsa die 16 Feb: 1911
matrimonium in Eccles(ia)
S(anc)ti Petri apud Liverpool
contraxit cum Joanne
Blackhurst

(deleted lines)
On 16 Feb 1911 she contracted a marriage in the church of St Peter, Liverpool, with John Blackhurst

Ipsa die 10 April 1916 in
Eccles(ia) S(anc)tae Crucis apud Liverpool
matrim(onium) contraxit cum Joanne Douglas filio Georgii et Ma...(?), ...(?) Douglas et Francesco Ga...y testibus

On 10 April 1916 in the Church of the Holy Cross, Liverpool, she contracted a marriage with John Douglas, son of George and Ma...(?), witnesses ...(?) Douglas and Francis Ga...y (Gaffney?)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 01:36 BST (UK) »
Further to the above, I think the marriage details in the baptism register were probably deleted because they were entered in error, against the wrong Mary Brown.

If you can access the image of the full 1911 census for John and Mary BLACKHURST in Liverpool, you'll see why. RG14/22202 Schedule 96.

Offline ange

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 15:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Book, I think you are right & it was just written next to the wrong Mary....I was getting all excited then for a minute. It is a bit strange that the marriage I have for Mary and John Douglas happens at St Nicholas church on 31st Jan 1916, I will have to go & see if they had a second RC service.

Thanks again ;D
researching: Evans, Smith, Soundie, Brookfield, Frost, Douglas, Heron, Weaver,Redmond, Blackford, Furmedge & McKittrick

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk