Author Topic: Transvaal Scottish Regiment during WWII.  (Read 10436 times)

Offline Sharon van Aswegen

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Transvaal Scottish Regiment during WWII.
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 03 December 20 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Wondering if anyone could help please.  My grandfather fought with the 3rd Transvaal Scottish. His full names are Thomas Martin Baptist Warren. If anyone has any info regarding his battalion. i would greatly appreciate it.  Also I know that he was on the SS Nova Scotia when it was torpedoed. Thank you.

Offline ArturiusZA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 08 January 21 06:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karytay

I am convinced that the man second from the left is my maternal grandfather, William Custance. He was captured at Sidi Rezegh in 1941. Would you be able to send a higher resolution photo to me, please? I'd love to increase the zoom on the photo to ascertain whether it is my grandfather or not. My mother agrees with me that this looks like her father but the photo is quite small and she is also struggling to make out the details.

I'm also trying to find further information on his service record. Any ideas of where I could find further information in this regard?

Many thanks!

Arthur

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 11 January 21 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arthur

Which photo are you wanting? I posted 6 and the originals are also small. But will gladly sent you a high resolution if I can.

You can try the South African defense force web site - https://www.defenceweb.co.za/contact/
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline ArturiusZA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 14 January 21 03:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much, Karytay.

The photo I'm referring to is https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=686313.0;attach=396086

I appreciate your help with this.

Kind regards

Arthur

Offline ArturiusZA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 14 January 21 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Dear Dathai

Thanks so much - I really appreciate you taking the time to find this record - much appreciated!

Kind regards

Arthur

Offline Robert Hamilton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 08 April 21 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Karytay

I am convinced that the man second from the left is my maternal grandfather, William Custance. He was captured at Sidi Rezegh in 1941. Would you be able to send a higher resolution photo to me, please? I'd love to increase the zoom on the photo to ascertain whether it is my grandfather or not. My mother agrees with me that this looks like her father but the photo is quite small and she is also struggling to make out the details.

I'm also trying to find further information on his service record. Any ideas of where I could find further information in this regard?

Many thanks!

Arthur

Dear Arthur

In the photo your referring to, I honestly believe that is my father to the right of your grand father leaning on him. I see from your grand fathers records he was a private and my father was a lieutenant. Would this joviality take place between the ranks, no idea?

My father was also captured at Sidi Rezegh in November 1941 where the 3rd Transvaal Scottish were effectively wiped out and possibly South Africa's biggest military loss, when a German panzer unit attacked there rear flank during Operation Crusade, You can find this action well documented on Youtube. He spent the rest of the war in Italian and German prisoner of war camps.

If anyone reading this has access to army records and wishes to look up my father, I would be very grateful.

Hugh Hamilton,
Date of birth   25th May 1920,
Place of Birth, Witbank South Africa 
Sorry no idea of service number but I would be intrigued to know if the service records throw up any more information.

Best regards

Robert H.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 12 April 21 15:12 BST (UK) »
Can I suggest you join the group South Africans in world war 1 and 2 and Korean War on FB. There are a vast number of members and photos on the group. One of the members is Dewald Nel. For a small fee he goes to archives in Pretoria and makes copies of the military records. This should help a lot of you get some closure.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline Vistabay

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 12 January 24 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
For those who had family members who were POW's, I’m wondering whether- if they spent time in Italy- they were in Campo 57 at Grupignano or the attached work camps before capitulation?

I’m compiling a comprehensive list of men who passed through 57. There were over 5000 and to date I have about 4,100-4,200.

Cheers and Thank You
Chris