Author Topic: William CANNING(S) 1821  (Read 3956 times)

Offline ARCANE-AUS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William CANNING(S) 1821
« on: Friday 09 May 14 03:48 BST (UK) »
All,

I am trying to trace "definitive parent & siblings" of the above, the info I hold is as follows:

B: 4 Apr 1821 - Westmill, Herts, parents William & Elizabeth, shows CANNINGS
M: 8 Feb 1842 - East Woodhay, Hamps to Lucy Mason (B: 4 Apr 1824)
E: 18 Feb 1842 - Earl of Durham to Australia, shipping record shows CANNING
A: 18 Jun 1842 - Williamstown, Port Phillip, NSW, Au (note state of Victoria post 1850)
D: 19 Jul 1904 - Campbellfield, Vic, Au

Have Australian descendants documented, seems that the "s" was dropped on departure/arrival

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as cannot find any births that would seem to be consitent with the family & the lack of a maiden name for Elizabeth doesn't help.

ARCANE-AUS

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: William CANNING(S) 1821
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 May 14 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Does the Victoria BDM death cert give you any information about Wm CANNING'S parents?   I can see an online index has for 1904, the Campbellfield Victoria death registered for a  Wm CANNING, aged 83, father as Wm Canning.  #7890. 

Does the Victoria BDM birth certs give you any information about William CANNING's own birth .... I would expect the 1857 birth cert for Alice Jane CANNING, at Campbellfield, parents as William CANNING and Lucy MASON, to also include details about William's birth place, although sometimes the clerks may have recorded just "England", often even in the 1850s they did record the village, the parish, the county, at least on the NSW certs post 1856 (civil registration started in NSW March 1856, and in Victoria 1853  :) .

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,373754.0.html  (What to expect on Victoria's BDMs .... I think these are among the best certs in the world .... at least from a family history buff perspective.   The depth of details available can be brickwall breaking).

So if by chance William's place of birth can be found recorded on an 'official' BDM record in Australia, then hopefully that will lead you back to Hampshire, perhaps to his siblings and to his mum's maiden name on some parish registers.      As William left England post the 1841 census, have you been able to locate him in that census?  As he did not marry Lucy intil Feb 1842, hopefully he was still living near by or with his parents.

Adding .... http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/canning-alfred-wernam-5499  for interest.

Cheers,  JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 May 14 11:35 BST (UK) »
Will and Probate for William CANNING d. 19 Jul 1904 'Highclere" Campbellfield names wife Lucy and children..
Frederick John, Charles Edward, Walter Moses, Thomas,
William, Henry Joseph, Alfred Wernam,
Mary Wood, Lucy Fisher, Alice Jane Harding (I think these would be married family names)
grandchildren Frank and Ada CROOK, and the children of Caroline STRANGER.

(later named as Alma, Aubrey, Milton and Eric)

Executors are John William STRANGER, William HARDING and Henry Joseph CANNING farmer of Thorpdale

Census 1851  East Woodhay Hampshire  sub-registration Highclere

WERHAM Coomtius    45yrs           Bishopston WILTS   victualler and land owner
WERNHAM b. Anne    40yrs           Woburn BEDS.
WERNHAM James      11yrs            Woburn BEDS.
WERNHAM George     9yrs              Hampstead BERKS.
WERNHAM Joseph      5yrs             Kintsbury   BERKS
WERNHAM Martha      4yrs             Kintsbury BERKS.
WERNHAM William      2yrs             Kintsbury BERKS.

The Argus 10 Feb 1902   diamond anniversary
CANNING—MASON.—[Diamond Wedding.] — On the 8th February, 1842, at East Woodhay, Hamp- shire, England, by the Rev. Douglas Hodgson, William. Canning to Lucy Mason. Present address, "Highclere," Campbellfield.

This is likely the source of your information about the marriage....and suggests connection for property name Highclere.

There would seem to be a WERNHAM  connection to your CANNINGS or MASON families.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 May 14 13:48 BST (UK) »
Could this be William in 1841 East Woodhay Hampshire.

William Cannings 20 ag lab born Hampshire (not out of county as a birth in Herts should suggest)  :-\

Note there's a Highclere village and castle in Hampshire. 

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline ARCANE-AUS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 May 14 03:04 BST (UK) »
All,

Thank you for your responses, they are all around the mark  :)

In response to:

Millipede - I believe that is him, agricultural labourer fits with the accepted facts, & most probably here as he married Lucy Mason the following year, part of her family appears on the same page of 1841 census but she is not listed.  It is thought that he was employed at Highclere castle, it is also accepted that her family ran a pub - the "Furze Bush Inn" which would tend fit as he has no occupation listed for her father.

wivenhoe - The facts are correct, there were 12 children, 2 (Elizabeth Ada & Caroline) were deceased at the time of his death, hence the g-children Frank & Ada CROOK & later named Alma, Aubrey, Melton & Eric are STRANGER.  The WERNHAM connection is thru' Lucy MASON, her mother was Lucy WERNHAM who married Thomas MASON, the name was subsequently used for Alfred Wernham (who is "Canning Stock Route & Rabbit Proof Fence" in Western Australia), and yes all the females are listed by their married names.  May I ask where you came by the document ?

JM - Have a copy of the death register entry, it does not record mother, father is listed as William with occupation of shepherd, and yes I agree the Vic records are rather more informative than some others, thus far on the records I have seen only one mentions birth at Hertsfordshire which is consistent with the suspected birth entry.  Know all about Alfred W's endeavours, intending to tour the stock route this year !

Once again many thanks to all, but I am still left with a "definitive" parents & siblings problem, perhaps others may be able to assist, we (those of the descendants) that are doing the digging are running into the same brick wall, one party has hung there hat on a 1791 marriage, but I have my reservations for two reasons, (1) the family name is CANNING, & (2) it is 30 years prior to William's birth, yes I know they married young, but no siblings doesn't help

ARCANE-AUS

Offline ARCANE-AUS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 May 14 08:32 BST (UK) »
wivenhoe,

Found will documents, so I have answered my own question  :-X

Regards

ARCANE-AUS

Offline neilm_from_Aussie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 March 24 04:54 GMT (UK) »
Now I heard today about a wedding that happened in England back in 2012. I live in Australia. The couple were a John and Frances Canning and were gatecrashed by the Queen!!!
I'd LOVE to find out if there is a Canning family connection here. It would make my day!
Thank you.
Neil.