Author Topic: Johnston Family - Owen Sound & Haliburton areas  (Read 7162 times)

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Johnston Family - Owen Sound & Haliburton areas
« on: Friday 09 May 14 04:05 BST (UK) »
Need some help with this one.

Other queries that I have made that may save extra work on this one are:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=480987.msg3397997#msg3397997
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=171138.msg811156#msg811156

This one turned out not to be from my line -
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=288005.msg1712493#msg1712493

I have now found that Henry and Lilly (Lillian - Lillias) McKinley had at least 3 children -

William born approximately 1889 in Glasgow, Scotland

Jean born 1891 in Glasgow (immigrated to Owen Sound, Ontario) (I have lots of information on her and am currently in contact with her family.)

John born approximately 1893 in Glasgow, Scotland (he immigrated to Owen Sound in 1919 and lived for a short time at least with his sister Jean and her husband Harry Alderton. John's wife Annabella Campbell Wilson and son Andrew Wilson Johnston were not with him.)

I have no idea if John's wife and son came to Canada, or if John went back to Scotland. I have tried finding a death for any of them in Scotland, but have been unable to.

I have also not been able to find anything else on William Johnston, or the father Henry.

I am assuming that they could have ventured further west, or even to the U.S., but nothing yet. Henry's family members that I have been in touch with have no knowledge about them either.

Also, to add an even deeper mystery, Lilly and Samuel Grimason had a son born in 1908 in Toronto, that they also named John. I have nothing for him either after his birth.

None of them immigrated to Canada at the same time. (Jean and Lilly (1905) Henry (1908) and John (1919) (William ? not sure if he did)

Henry lived in Haliburton area with neice Mary Toye and her husband John Michael Rivers.
Jean and Harry Alderton lived in Owen Sound, Ontario
Lilly and Samuel Grimason lived in Toronto, Ontario, then Regina, Saskatchewan, then Winnipeg, Manitoba, and finally British Columbia where they died.

If anyone can help in any way, I would greatly appreciate it.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Johnston Family - Owen Sound & Haliburton areas
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 May 14 08:07 BST (UK) »
Janice, there is a death for Andrew Wilson Johnston who was born 12 Apr 1917 in the FreeBMD. He died in Feb 1994 in Crawley, West Sussex (Register No. B37A, District and Subdistrict 7801B, Entry No. 98). ScotlandsPeople has a marriage for Andrew Wilson Johnston to Jenny Adie F. Kier in Cathcart in 1941. There is a death that was registered in Feb 1992 in Horsham, Sussex for Jenny Adie Johnston who was born 11 Jul 1916 (vol. 18, page 2248). There is also a death registered in Sutton, Greater London in May 1975 for Annabella Campbell Johnston who was born 7 Feb 1891 (vol 15, page 0770).

I've also sent you a PM about the second border crossing attempt by Lily and Samuel.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 May 14 09:32 BST (UK) »
As well, I noticed in one of your other threads you mention you can't find Henry in 1901. If that's still the case, it appears he and the children were living with his mother at 281 Dalmarnock Road in Bridgeton, Glasgow. At Ancestry the transcription has him listed as Henry Johnstone. It looks like two of his sisters were also there - Mrs. Stewart with two children and Martha Cunningham with her husband.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 May 14 14:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information Jacquie.

I will now have to find out more about the "England" connection.

I love this one, as there are so many twists and turns. It keeps me addicted.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 May 14 06:04 BST (UK) »
I found a death for John McKinlay Johnston in Scotland. He died 18 Jan 1931 in Dennistoun, Glasgow. Annabella was the informant. If you PM me your email address I can send the registration to you.

It's strange. I searched for him at SP when I first read your thread and couldn't find him but this time I found him right away and I'm sure I used the same search terms.

Jacquie

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacquie

Thank you. I have sent you a personal message.

Janice

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 00:03 BST (UK) »
Do you have the border crossing documents for Henry going to Buffalo that are dated 18 May 1915? It says he was going to seek work. He named his brother-in-law James Toy(e) as his nearest relative in Canada.

Jacquie

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 01:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacquie

I do have that, as well as the 1917 crossing, where he lists Lily as his wife, even though she is with Samuel Grimason.

I have nothing after that, with the exception of John's death (1931) that you sent me. It shows Henry is deceased.

Janice

Offline Grimason

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janice,
Re John McKinley Johnston who died 18 Jan 1931 aged 40 years giving a birth year of 1891 with the mother of Liliy McKinley.
I suspect that the age given is incorrect as I have a birth for;
John McKinley Grimason born 30 Aug 1908 at York, Toronto, Canada, I suspect this is the same person.
The only way I know of to confirm what I suspect is to DNA test any male descendant of John McKinley Johnston against any other known Johnston Male relative.
The other thing to look at is to see if there is indeed a John McKinley Johnston born in 1891 based on the supposed age at death.
Also any will that may have been probated, unfortunately these are not yet online if there is one.
The other thing to look for is his marriage as that may paint another story, it would appear that he did not marry in Scotland under John McKinley Johnston and the same goes for Canada.
Based on his Death Certificate it would appear that he married Annabella Campbell WILSON.