Author Topic: Drysdales on Islay  (Read 7978 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Drysdales on Islay
« Reply #27 on: Friday 14 April 23 19:35 BST (UK) »
So, Anne Donnelly Drysdale widowed in 1848. I think this is her in 1851. A younger daughter Margaret is showing with her. Earlier born Margaret died and name reused?

1851 census index entry here www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a150a13f4040b9d6e14b721/ann-drysdale-1851-lanarkshire-glasgow-1813-?locale=en

There is a correction on the Ancestry transcript for this entry to indicate that Hay F Drysdale should read Illay Ferrier Drysdale.

This looks like Mary Drysdale's death entry:

Mary DRYSDALE   
Age 74
Mother's maiden name HARGREAVES
644 / 1 / 1078
Glasgow Central District

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Amber123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 15 April 23 14:35 BST (UK) »
That is interesting. I only have a John Duncan, child of Romeo Drysdale, b. 1810, on my tree, so I wonder, too, if this is the same person - I couldn't find any records as an adult for John Duncan.

By the way, I found this mention of Romeo Drysdale recently in an old textbook:

https://randomscottishhistory.com/2018/05/15/dumbarton-castle-pp-73-86/

"Several portions of the rock are strongly magnetic, and affect the needle of a compass, brought near it, very considerably, causing it to vary much from its true pole. This circumstance is noticed by the historian Buchanan.1 “In the upper part of the Castle,” he observes, “is a piece of rock of the nature of a loadstone, but so closely connected and fastened to the main rock, that no manner of joining appears.” Professor Anderson, of the University of Glasgow, made repeated experiments on the magnetism of the rock, and the direction of its poles. On the south side, and near the top of the western rock, a large bare crag was pointed out to us, by Mr. Romeo Drysdale, the master gunner of the Castle, who has made various experiments upon it, and found it to be highly magnetic. This, from its situation, is in all probability, the rock alluded to by Buchanan. Mr. Drysdale says its influence has even been felt on the opposite shore of the Clyde."

Offline janceyb87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 20 April 23 19:38 BST (UK) »
Jarvis was called many different names in the records i found including Gervase, Larase, James, Jennins, Jervis and Charles. He had 9 Children, Anne b. 1830, Mary Jane b.1832, Margaret b. 1833, Jarvis b.1834, Romeo b.1835, Caroline Catherine b. 1837, Margaret Jane b.1840, Ann b.1842 (my direct descendant) and Julie b. 1844. all baptised in St Andrew, Glasgow.

I had the 1841 census for ann and i have seen the 1851 one but wasnt sure until now if it was related and i only have one of their marriage records. the less detailed one.

1810 was just my rough estimate given the year they were married. it could be he was born much earlier.
Williams, Hemphill, Cowan, Rennie, Brennan, MacLean

Offline janceyb87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 20 April 23 21:57 BST (UK) »
I have found her death in 1886 in Hutchesontown which states her parents were Terence Donelly and Catherine Nugent.
DRYSDALE
ANN
NUGENT
F
644 / 11 / 345
HUTCHESONTOWN
it claims she was 62 which would make her born in 1818, but when i looked in Armagh for children of Terence and Catherine, Ann was born in 1802. Jarvis could be of a similar age?
Williams, Hemphill, Cowan, Rennie, Brennan, MacLean

Offline Ronda231

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 13 April 24 20:16 BST (UK) »
Now it seems that I need to find James Drysdale and how he came to meet Ann Ferguson. He is a real mystery man.

If any one has any idea where I might find him, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Allan

Going back to Sunsetbay4me's original posts, can I suggest that he tries checking out this individual - 'James Drysdale' (born 1824) who was an Irish Seaman onboard a vessel which travelled between Ireland (Portavogie) & Scotland (Islay? Ayr). He was onboard the vessel Jas. Cathcart during the Scottish 1841 census (pdf attached). His details have also been entered up on the Familysearch website with ID  LDPT-XB7.

Regards