Author Topic: Craigerme Farm Bucklyvie?  (Read 3281 times)

Offline Stageman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Craigerme Farm Bucklyvie?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 October 21 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi again. Thanks for your private message. I have been away from my ancestry research for a while, but I am now back on the trail! Your post looks promising and I am going to start chasing up on it now. Thanks again you Old fashioned Girl.
McCallum-Scotland & South Africa. Brechney-Scotland & Ireland.

Offline Stageman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 October 21 16:28 BST (UK) »
I have looked up Craigerme Farm and now it seems quite a big poultry operation!  Looking back the appropriate censuses has not been fruitful nor has looking up valuation rolls. I will do more research on censuses and see if my (possible) great grandfather pops up somewhere else. Thank you for your advice though. 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 October 21 17:46 BST (UK) »
Where did you find this reference to Craigerme Farm?

Actually, I am not sure that finding Craigerme or Craigerne will give you the answer to your question, which is, presumably, the identity of Peter McCallum. If he was a farm worker, he might have been a hired hand who signed on for a six-month term, and then moved on to another farm for the next term. If he only moved a short distance every six months he could be on the other side of the county by the time of the 1871 census.

However there is a 25-year-old Peter McCallum, inn keeper, born Monzie, in Red Lion Inn, Kippen, in the 1871 census with wife Isabella, stepson James and son Peter. This is Peter McCallum and Isabella Scobbie, who were married in Glasgow in 1870. He is the right age and in the right area to be the father of your grandfather, so it might be worth investigating him.

Peter McCallum, aged 48, mother's maiden surname Paton, died in Kippen in 1893. Peter McCallum, son of James McCallum and Catherine Paton, was baptised in Monzie on 15 April 1846.

If I were you I would look at the marriage of Peter McCallum and Isabella Scobbie or McKillop and see what it says about Peter's occupation and residence.

BTW it's Buchlyvie with an h, not a k.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Stageman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 October 21 11:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking all this up. I am aware of the Peter McCallum the inn keeper in Kippen. But have not researched him very thoroughly yet. I realised that Peter McCallum could be a transient labourer and could be literally anywhere by the 1871 census and have spread the net for him. But you are right in that I should further into the marriage in 1870. I have come across Bucklyvie spelt both with an h and a k. Thanks again for your assistance in this, it's appreciated.