Author Topic: Baddley Edge Norton why private baptism?  (Read 3159 times)

Offline sossle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Baddley Edge Norton why private baptism?
« on: Saturday 25 June 05 10:47 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any idea why a baby would have a private baptism?
Fred Shenton born Jan 30 1901, abode Baddley Edge, parents Frederick & Annie Shenton, baptised Feb6 1901. It says Private, underlined on the entry.
Could this be because there was something wrong with the baby? I am sure that he died in 1902 aged 1yr. I am now trying to find out if this is so & am looking for his death or burial.
  Sue

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baddley Edge Norton why private baptism?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 June 05 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

There has been some correspondence about this recently and one of the reasons that a private baptism might take place is if the infant is not expected to survive.

I had one of these in my own family, the child was baptised at only a few weeks old, but was received into the church later with his other siblings - a batch job - when he was about 9 years of age!!  Evidently he was stronger than they thought.  :D

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline sossle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Baddley Edge Norton why private baptism?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 June 05 11:19 BST (UK) »

Thanks for the info. I am now looking for his death / burial to see if I have the correct Fred who died at 1 yr old. I will be making a trip to Stafford Record office in the not too distant future!

Sue