Author Topic: TRAGIC ACCIDENT IN Mid SUSSEX  (Read 4685 times)

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
TRAGIC ACCIDENT IN Mid SUSSEX
« on: Sunday 11 May 14 16:37 BST (UK) »
Could anyone throw light on the tragic death, reputedly in a farm accident of a 4 year old boy
SIDNEY JAMES BOX, only son of Henry Sidney and Beatrice Box of Lindfield.  He was born in 1934 and it is thought the accident was in 1938 -9.  Coroner's Records or a Newspaper Report seem the most obvious places to search but so far nothing found.  Please help if you can. Thank you.
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: TRAGIC ACCIDENT IN Mid SUSSEX
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 May 14 16:47 BST (UK) »
This looks like the death registration
June qtr 1939 
Sidney J Box  age  4   
Horsham    2b   429    
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 May 14 17:10 BST (UK) »
Lindfield comes under the Cuckfield registration district so it looks as if Sidney died away from home somewhere if his death is registered in Horsham district.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 May 14 17:36 BST (UK) »
I had a quick look through the BNA but I am not good at searching that.  So found nothing sorry.
xin

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 May 14 19:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you  Rosie, yes that seems to be the date of death but I hope for more background detail of what happened.  Thanks for the others who have had a try.  Hope a newspaper article may turn up.
I looked on them in Find my Past but could not find any for Horsham area.  As his home was Lindfield perhaps there might be something there too.  Any further help appreciated. Thanks
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Leics. Vincent

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 May 14 20:36 BST (UK) »
The Mid Sussex Times is the local paper covering Lindfield but it is not online.   I assume that the record office will have it and there are also copies on film at Burgess Hill Library if you can get there.

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 May 14 15:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sillgen,
I have now e-mailed Burgess Hill library so perhaps they can help further.  I am too far distant in Gloucestershire!
Leics. Vincent

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham,

I am in Burgess Hill, although I work away during the week, and could probably have a look at the newspaper for you on Saturday - if I don't get there this weekend (visitors staying) I'll go during half term, if you still need the information.

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 22:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you Liz. however I e-mailed Burgess Hill library and had a most helpful response.  They have sent my query on to Worthing Library who have digitised  Coroner's reports in newspapers and will hopefully send me a copy.   They discovered the exact date of death for me which is of course needed to find the record.  Thank you for offering.   I hope to have the answer to my query soon.
Leics. Vincent