Author Topic: A List of Llanidloes Men  (Read 32969 times)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
A List of Llanidloes Men
« on: Saturday 25 June 05 11:41 BST (UK) »
I have a list of Llanidloes Men who seved during the First World War.

There are just far too many to list them all (approximately 280 names) on here but if anyone would like me to look up any of their ancestors please let me know.

Each man is listed with his address and regiment.

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A List of Llanidloes Men
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 February 06 00:11 GMT (UK) »
hello lloydy,
                   i would appreciate it if you could look up any ELLIS family in your list, cheers, kali.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline Shirles

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 February 06 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lloydy
My Gr Grandfather William Hugh Williams fought in the first World War in Gallapoli ~ he was in the 'A' Company 7th Royal Welsh Fusiliers.
I believe he lived in Cemetry Square, Llanidloes around that time.  He came back from the War and was killed in an accident in the Drill Hall of the RWF  in Victoria Avenue, Llanidloes in 1926, he was 29 years old.
I hope he is mentioned in your list.  Look forward to hearing from you.
Kind Regards
Shirles
My research interests are as follows:
TROW, Jane Elizabeth,(nee Evans) died 1864 in Dorrington, Condover
TROW Jane, Kerry, Montgomeryshire abt 1777 GARDINER Edward, Shropshire, abt 1764
TUDOR Martha, Kerry, Montg abt 1762
JONES Richard, Llangedwin, Debighshire 1794
UNKNOWN Anne, Shrewsbury? Shropshire abt 1794
STALEY James, Lydbury North, Shrops abt 1772
CORNS Margaret, Lydbury North, Shrops 1769
MILLS Joseph, Golon, Llanbister, Radnorshire
CORFIELD John, St Chads, Shrews 1773

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 February 06 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kali

I have found the following:

Ellis, J H  47 Long Bridge Street, 1/7 RWF

Hope he's yours!!!

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 February 06 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shirles

I looked for your William Williams and he isn't in the list, it does say at the beginning that it is "probably not complete".

However, I did find the following Williams interesting mainly because of the address:

Williams, Henry  7 Cemetery Square, 1/7 RWF

Williams, Robert 7 Cemetery Square, 4/7 Prov Batt RWF

My Great Uncle John Frederick Jones fought in Gallipoli too, but sadly was killed in action.  His family were living at Smithfield Street at the time and remained in Llanidloes.  My father was born at No 10 Foundry Terrace, and I have still have relatives there now.

Jan :D

Offline Shirles

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 February 06 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan ~ that is interesting ~  I've looked up William Hugh Williams Death Cert and he was living at No.8 Cemetry Square.  I am wondering if his father Robert Williams came down from Pwllheli to join the RWF and lived next door (or would it have been over the road)?  However, shame William Hugh isn't mentioned, I have a photograph VERY creased of him in uniform with Shire Horses.  At his funeral there was a firing party from 'A' Company RWF under the command of Lieut.R.B.S.Davies.  The bearers were Ptes.Ll Morris, John Mills, P.Evans, J.H.Rowlands, R.D.Jones, and O.Benbow. 

John Mills is of particular interest as I am pretty sure he would have been an Uncle to William Hugh's wife, my Grandmother, whose mother was Sarah Mills.
If you can find out any other little pieces of information, I would appreciate it.

My Auntie is in Llanidloes Hospital at the moment, we went to visit her two weeks ago and Wales is still looking wonderful even in the winter.  I still have one Uncle but lots of cousins living in Llanidloes, from my father's side of the family, he was born in Kerry, but lived most of his childhood in Cwmbelan.

I was born in Caersws and most of my mother's family are still there although declining in numbers now.

Nice to talk to you Jan ~ I hope your Uncle was mentioned in the list of Llanidloes men.

Kind regards Shirles
TROW Jane, Kerry, Montgomeryshire abt 1777 GARDINER Edward, Shropshire, abt 1764

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 February 06 18:25 GMT (UK) »
thank you jan,
                       i do have a john i will go through my files and check out the address, thanks again, kali.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 February 06 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shirles

The only John Mills listed died in August 1915  :-\

Jan

Offline Shirles

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 February 06 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

I had started to write a reply and now I've lost it so if you end up with two you will understand why.

Is there any other information i.e. age, address on the John Mills who died in 1915, he is obviously not the one that was a bearer at my Grandfather's funeral, but he may well be on my Family Tree I have seven 'John Mills', it would be good to put that information against the correct John Mills.

Many thanks for your help.
Kind regards Shirles