Author Topic: A List of Llanidloes Men  (Read 32968 times)

Offline Shirles

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: A List of Llanidloes Men
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 18 November 10 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello both

If my memory serves me right my Grandfather lived at 9 Cemetery Square, however, William Hugh Williams was not on your |List of Llanidloes Men Jan.  He died in the RWF Headquarters in Victoria Avenue which is still there, having fought in WWI.

He certainly would have known John Maurice Jones.

Hope you and your family are keeping well Jan.

Best wishes
Shirley
My research interests are as follows:
TROW, Jane Elizabeth,(nee Evans) died 1864 in Dorrington, Condover
TROW Jane, Kerry, Montgomeryshire abt 1777 GARDINER Edward, Shropshire, abt 1764
TUDOR Martha, Kerry, Montg abt 1762
JONES Richard, Llangedwin, Debighshire 1794
UNKNOWN Anne, Shrewsbury? Shropshire abt 1794
STALEY James, Lydbury North, Shrops abt 1772
CORNS Margaret, Lydbury North, Shrops 1769
MILLS Joseph, Golon, Llanbister, Radnorshire
CORFIELD John, St Chads, Shrews 1773

Offline griffs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am putting together a local history project on the men from Llanidloes and district who served in the First World War and came upon your post and the reference to the list.  I know it's an old thread by now but hope I can still contact you about it as this would be exactly the sort of thing the project needs - I'm part of a community group and we plan to put on an exhibition, among other things.  The aim is to mark the centenary and bring back into the community's memory the names on the war memorial, but we'd also be keen to name all those who served.

My ancestor is on the war memorial also, David Mills, but I don't think he'd be on the list as he went to S Africa in 1910 and enlisted from there. He's also on the Trefeglwys list of names, and I assume your list is Llanidloes only?

Do you think there's any way your list could feature in our project and exhibition? It'd be great if it could, there's so much interest in this in the community

Best wishes,

Nia
Mills, Trefeglwys; Bennett, Llangurig; Lewis, Llangurig; Jenkins, Llanidloes; Griffiths, Meifod; Lodwick, Llanfihangel; Evans, Llanfihangel; all Montgomeryshire

Offline Shirles

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Nia

My Grandfather, William Hugh Williams, was in the Royal Welch Fusiliers and fought in WW1 in Gallipoli.  He was born in Pwllheli, Carnarvonshire, but he married my Grandmother who was born in Kerry, Montgomeryshire (Powys now) and they lived at 8 Cemetery Square, Llanidloes.

William Hugh Williams survived the War only to have a fatal accident in the RWF Headquarters in Victoria Avenue, Llanidloes in 1926 he was 29 years old and left a Widow and five children.

I have no proof but I think William's father Robert Williams came down from Pwllheli to join the RWF and lived next door at No.9 Cemetery Square.  I have a photograph VERY creased of William in uniform with Shire Horses. 

According to his Obituary there was a firing party from 'A' Company RWF under the command of Lieut.R.B.S.Davies at his funeral.  The bearers were Ptes.Ll Morris, John Mills, P.Evans, J.H.Rowlands, R.D.Jones, and O.Benbow. 

My Grandmother's maiden name was Mills her mother was Sarah Mills.  These Mills are the Mills of Radnorshire.

I hope this information has been helpful to you ~ good luck with your project.

Best wishes
Shirley
TROW Jane, Kerry, Montgomeryshire abt 1777 GARDINER Edward, Shropshire, abt 1764

Offline griffs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 23:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shirley, if ok with you we will add your ancestor's story to our archive and exhibition - I will keep you posted as the project progresses in case you'd like to come along to the exhibition

Nia
Mills, Trefeglwys; Bennett, Llangurig; Lewis, Llangurig; Jenkins, Llanidloes; Griffiths, Meifod; Lodwick, Llanfihangel; Evans, Llanfihangel; all Montgomeryshire

Offline Shirles

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 12 April 12 08:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you Nia I am interested so I would be pleased for you to let me know your progress.

Best wishes
Shirley

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 13 April 12 17:00 BST (UK) »
I'm very interested Nia as I have many many ancestors from Llanidloes.

Would be interested to see your David Mills parents etc......I have a Mills line in my Tree (unfortunately not the wealthy composers or printers :()

Jan

P.S. Hi Shirley, hope you are keeping well.  Lovely to see you still on here
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Shirles

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 13 April 12 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

Yes I still pop on rootschat for help and advice from time to time ~ its a brilliant website.  Have we compared notes in the past about our 'Mills' Jan ~ mine were not composers or printers either.

I hope you and your family are all well.

Best wishes
Shirley

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 13 April 12 17:24 BST (UK) »

Will PM you about our Mills  ;)

All well here thank you!
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline griffs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 14 April 12 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan and Shirley,

If you're researching Mills I'd be interested too.  That's my maternal line, still around in Llanidloes in large numbers!

Nia