Author Topic: Bolus - birth in Birmingham c.1814  (Read 3625 times)

Offline Lemon Goddess

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bolus - birth in Birmingham c.1814
« on: Sunday 11 May 14 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Wonder if anyone's able to help me. I'm looking for the birth (and hopefully parents!) of an Edward Bolus c.1814 in Birmingham, Warwickshire. I pick him up later on in the censuses but I can't get back further than him, and I haven't anywhere more specific than "Birmingham" which isn't exactly small!

Any help is really greatly appreciated.

LG

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Bolus - birth in Birmingham c.1814
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 May 14 23:23 BST (UK) »
A possibility??

Edward Bolas born 24.11.1813
Baptism 3.1.1814 Birmingham, St Philip
Father Edward Bolas brass founder  Mother    Ann 

If it's the right family - same parents and same church - baptisms of other children as follows:

Ann 13.5.1816
Joseph 26.5.1818
James 11.1.1820

He may have married in 1838 - have you confirmed Elizabeths maiden name as there is also an Edward Bolus marriage in 1836 to an Elizabeth Weightman/Wightman 

From FS

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XXVN-888
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Lemon Goddess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 May 14 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole,

A definite possibility. It could well be my lot - Bolus and Bolas seem to be fairly interchangeable in Warks/Worcs/Shrophire it seems.

The occupation adds another 'clincher', although Birmingham was 'brass-town', - my Edward Bolus was listed on various censuses as a 'brass finisher', and later on, a 'retired brass founder'. The odds were favorable, I'd say. All very exciting!

I'm not sure at what point I can definitely say it's my guy (short of a miraculous baptism certificate in one of the family's attics!) - were there many Edward Boluses or Edward Bolases getting born in Birmingham in 1814? Doubt it. According to some family papers he had two brothers (don't know names) one who went to New Zealand and one who went to South Africa. (Not sure how reliable the source is though.) Your find does have two brothers....some digging to do!

Anyway many thanks for the steer - as a newbie I'm amazed at how helpful and generous with their time everyone has been on the forum. Thanks so much.

Best regards,

LG

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 May 14 00:19 BST (UK) »
Do you know which Elizabeth he married - Elizabeth Shakespeare in 1838 or Elizabeth Weightman/Wightman in 1836?  They only have 1 child in 1841 aged 1yr so I favour the 1838 marriage.  If that is the one - then his father was John - not Edward
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 May 14 00:30 BST (UK) »
Here's a thought

The 1841 entry has Edward & Elizabeth both aged 30 and daughter Jane aged 1

1851 has that Edward a widower occ wheelwright b 1808 Little Packington Warwickshire as mother in law Lucy Shakespeare is living with him.

So that is the 1838 marriage with father John Bolus

The 1851 then has another Edward Bolus  born 1814 Birmingham but living in Middlesex occ brass finisher.  Wife is Elizabeth transcribed as aged 30 but image could be 36 so this may be the 1836 marriage as eldest child is 13yrs old.  What makes me a bit dubious is that neither Elizabeth or any of the children were born in Warwickshire

Offline Lemon Goddess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 May 14 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole,

My, my, you have been busy!

My Edward is the one that marries an Elizabeth Wyton/Witon - according to family papers, from Hook Norton, Oxon. They do end up in Middlesex/London and by 1851 have had first son, (you've guessed it) another Edward(!) They had 5 children altogether but I only know the boys' dates Edward (1850) and Alfred (c.1856).

I've had a steer from someone on RootsChat over the last couple of days, because I was trying to get at Edward Snr (b.1813/4) through the marriage to Elizabeth, so had tried a Hook Norton marriage lookup. This drew blanks in Hook Norton but did pull up this...

"Hi

And welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Wonder if it could be this

St Bartholomews Edgbaston 28 Aug. 1836 after Banns

Edward Bolus and Elizabeth WHIGHTMAN both of the parish and single.

He signed, she left her mark
Witnesses: Mary Ann WYTON and George WYTON

claire"

This might explain the Wyton/Witon/Wightman confusion with previous generations of family tree enthusiasts and also coincides with what you've found. Does that mean that it's still most likely the brass founder father Edward and mother Ann?

Best regards,

LG

Offline Lemon Goddess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 May 14 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole,

By way of a P.S. I'd also come across an Edward Boles on the 1841 Census (Just on index websites, not the actual scan. He's 25, a brass founder, living in London, though born "Outside of London". Date's a bit skewif but is this my man?

LG

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 May 14 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

I can't find that 1841 entry you mention.  Any other info available from it?

Offline Lemon Goddess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 May 14 13:22 BST (UK) »
Sorry no, not really....it was on UK Census Online (which I'm not a member of or anything) but it popped up on a phonetic hunt.

http://www.ukcensusonline.com/search/index.php?fn=edward&sn=boles&phonetic_mode=1&event=1841&token=aPxRtmS9-WyCItq7qeVkBRp7x7uVowjyS59dY9LTra8

More a pointer rather than anything conclusive! The date's not exactly right either...

Hmmm...

Also

http://www.ukcensusonline.com/search/index.php?fn=elizabeth&sn=boles&event=1841&phonetic_mode=1&year=&range=0&token=6pjDdsBAZR0SlTOHD4or1BoEANjyLjsak96djadvXOI&search=Search

Would this Elizabeth (4th down) be the right one?
Need to check out that 1841 Census....

LG

(Love the cat pic - our two seem to enjoy lying on the keyboard whilst I try to type!)