Author Topic: Ann Hughes born 1879 - Pentraeth, Anglesey  (Read 7540 times)

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Hughes born 1879 - Pentraeth, Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 June 14 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Gareth
I found this entry in the birth registry

Eighteenth April 1879 at Glenmorfa, Pentraeth
Ann HUGHES, father Owen Hughes Jones, labourer, mother Mary Jones formerly Williams
Informant
X The Mark of Griffith Williams, present at the Birth, Glen Morfa, Pentraeth
registered Fourteenth May 1879 District of Beaumaris.

Heather
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 June 14 14:29 BST (UK) »
possible marriage Dec Q 1877 registered Bangor (civil reg)

Owen Hughes JONES and Mary GRIFFITH, vol 11b page 927, noted as BAN/19/E174 (NWBMD ref)

Offline 100%Gog

• RootsChat Member
  • G-Grandfather at Cilmelyn Farm, Bangor c1900
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 June 14 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather

Thanks for the information. I think you have hit the nail on the head!

I have actually applied for this birth certificate last week from Llangefni Register Office and waiting for it to arrive.

I have received the marriage certificate of Owen Hughes Jones marrying a Mary Griffith in 1877 and it has Glan Morfa, Pentraeth on it. This information fits in with my family as well as the information you have given me.

To explain, Mary Griffith lived at Tyddyn Glan y Mor/Glan Morfa from an early age, she is shown in the census 1861-1881 as a niece of a Griffith & Ann Williams. In the 1881 census she is shown as Mary Hughes (married) with a daughter Ann Jones-Hughes (suspect this may be the wrong way round). The Griffith part may be down to welsh patronymics and that she changed it to Williams on official registers?

The confusing thing over the years is on Mary Griffith's marriage certificate her father is shown as John Griffith, Pen y Traeth, Pentraeth which is what we as a family always thought.

On Ann Hughes' is marriage certificate she is shown as living at Tyddyn Glan y Mor and her father is Owen Hughes, the Jones has disappeared.

On Owen Hughes-Jones' marriage certificate his abode is Carreg Landeg, Pentraeth and his father is David Jones.

I think you have solved part of the question but so many more have opened up....Why change from Griffith to Williams, why drop the Jones and where does the Hughes come from? ???

Diolch
Gareth
Griffith(s) - Anglesey: Pentraeth, Llanddona.

Hughes - Anglesey: Holyhead, Llangefni, Pentraeth.
Caernarvonshire: Gyffin, Dwygyfylchi, Penmaenmawr.

Jones - Anglesey: Llangefni
Denbighshire: Betws yn Rhos, Llanfairtalhaiarn

Owen/Owens - Anglesey: Llanbadrig.
Caernarvonshire: Bangor, Penrhosgarnedd.
Denbighshire: Cerrigydrudion.

Roberts - Caernarvonshire: Dwygyfylchi, Penmaenmawr, Llysfaen.

Offline 100%Gog

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 June 14 14:57 BST (UK) »
Heather

I am interested to know where you found the birth entry for Ann Hughes? I have searched for ages using the normal freeBMD, NWBMD, Ancestry, Find my past etc. sources but not come up with that level of information. I finally found it by visiting Llangefni Archives but there was no mention of Griffith Williams :)

Many thanks!

Gareth

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 June 14 16:30 BST (UK) »
Heather

I am interested to know where you found the birth entry for Ann Hughes? I have searched for ages using the normal freeBMD, NWBMD, Ancestry, Find my past etc. sources but not come up with that level of information. I finally found it by visiting Llangefni Archives but there was no mention of Griffith Williams :)

Gareth

Hi Gareth
I will send you a personal message.
Heather

Offline 100%Gog

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 16:10 BST (UK) »
At last! After searching for my grandmother's date of birth for ages, a couple of weeks on rootchat.com and all is solved (I think). ;D

With the help of other root chatters I have got my grandmother's birth certificate in my hand. However, in true family history style the certificate answers long running questions but opens up a shed load more questions, still we would not keep on doing it if it was easy.

Thanks
100%Gog

Offline 100%Gog

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Hughes born 1879 - Pentraeth, Anglesey - COMPLETED
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 July 14 13:19 BST (UK) »
Just thought I would make one last post on this topic to update those who helped me in my search.

As mentioned in my previous post last month. I have found my grandmother's birth certificate which has allowed me to close the gap in her part of the family tree. In turn, it also allowed me to get her parents marriage certificate as well.

A couple of problems caused me to miss her birth date on a number of occasions. The first was that she was not initially recorded as a Hughes, she was in fact a Hughes-Jones and secondly, due to what appears to be an error during registration her mother was recorded as a Williams not a Griffith as she should have been. The date range, location, occupations etc were spot on.

The reason for the additional Jones to the name was it now appears that her father was an illegitimate child. He used his mother's maiden name Hughes as his surname all his life with the exception of his marriage certificate and his eldest child's (my grandmother) birth certificate which both included his father's surname as a hyphenated addition.

The error on her mother's name may be because the birth was registered by her mother's elderly uncle who her mother had lived with for many years. It appears he told the registrar her surname was Williams the same as his and not Griffith. As the elderly gent was illiterate ("X mark of" found on certificate signature) he could not check this, I guess?

A footnote to all this is that although her father was illegitimate his father's name was recorded on his marriage certificate. Was there a recognition that he was the father some 22 years after the birth? Sadly Ann's grandmother (her father's mother) died at the age of 22 years when her father was only an infant and his father never married until he was in his late fifties and had no further children that I know of at the moment. I hope that because of all this some reconciliation may have occurred between the two of them in their later lives.

Many thanks to the roots chatters that helped me with my search.

100% Gog