Author Topic: watkins Swansea/Gower  (Read 5372 times)

Offline nigelw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
watkins Swansea/Gower
« on: Saturday 25 June 05 13:31 BST (UK) »
Researching Watkins family, lived in Sydney Street and Bryn Street, Llangyfelach.  Originally from Gower.  Married into John family mid C18th
Interested in Tŷ Mawr, Cellan and Davies family.  I'm related to Joseph Davies and Rachel Davies both buried in the church yard.  Joseph died c 1833 and Rachel in the 1780s

Offline Lyndon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: watkins Swansea/Gower
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 June 05 23:17 BST (UK) »
I've got a few references to Watkins in Llangyfelach. Are these any use? Where I don't give the source, it is from the Cambrian.

27/11/1747 Catherine Watkin Married Morgan David Llangyfelach (IGI)
17/12/1762 Jane Watkin Married Amos Glamil Llangyfelach (IGI)
12/10/1770 Thomas Watkin Son of Watkin Williams bap Llangyfelach (IGI)
10/9/1813 Mary Watkins Married Thomas David Llangyfelach (IGI)
16/12/1832 John Watkin Husband of Gwenlluan son David bap LMLT (IGI)
5/3/1834   William Watkins   Theft at Llangyfelach
12/4/1834   William Watkins   With Dd Jones 7 yrs transportation theft at Llangyfelach
6/7/1844   William Watkins   Llysyning Llangyfelach driving offence
27/12/1850   David Watkins   Married Hannah Davies Pentyle @ Llangyfelach
0/0/1851 Hannah Watkins 12 Oxford St aged 46 bn Llangyfelach: wife of John grocer +    Ann 8 (CENS)
29/12/1854   John Watkins   Married Catherine Davies @ Llangyfelach

Happy hunting

--
Lyndon
Watkins - Swansea. Thomas - Carmarthenshire. Stock - Rowberrow. Jarman - Montgomeryshire. Duck - Calne. Watts - Frome.

Offline nigelw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 June 05 09:08 BST (UK) »
thanks for the reply. I'll look into them

Nigelw
Interested in Tŷ Mawr, Cellan and Davies family.  I'm related to Joseph Davies and Rachel Davies both buried in the church yard.  Joseph died c 1833 and Rachel in the 1780s

Offline Lyndon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 June 05 14:44 BST (UK) »
You are welcome. My interest is in the Swansea Watkins, but those were a few references I have picked up on the way. I'm sure they will turn out to be cousins.

I see your Watkins come from Gower originally. Are you familiar with the Oxwich Castle incident? The following notes are from a book my brother was writing at the time of his death.

'In a well documented affray between Sir George Herbert and Sir Rice Mansell at Oxwich Castle in 1557,  no less than three of Sir George Herbert's retainers bear the name of Watkin, indeed it was a Watkin who reputedly threw the stone which killed Anne Mansel and led to the arrest and trial of Sir George Herbert and his retainers in the Star Chamber. (See J. D. Davies,  History of West Gower,  (1894)).

The thrower of the stone was alleged to be Watkyn John ap Watkyn of Swansea,  others in the party included Watkyn ap Harry a Swansea Yeoman and Henry Watkyn (gent). The many witnesses for the Mansell family included a Thomas Watkin.  Interestingly,  in the text Watkyn ap Harry is frequently refered to as Harry Watkyn.'

--
Lyndon
Watkins - Swansea. Thomas - Carmarthenshire. Stock - Rowberrow. Jarman - Montgomeryshire. Duck - Calne. Watts - Frome.

Offline nigelw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 June 05 15:29 BST (UK) »
The Watkins I'm researching were butchers and had stalls in Swansea market

Offline Lyndon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 June 05 18:51 BST (UK) »
Ah well. I'll keep trying.   :) These are all my Swansea Watkins 'butcher' references. Anythiing here of interest?

0/0/1845 Ann Watkins Butcher in Market (Hunts)
0/0/1851 Ann Watkins Mathew St, butcher aged 79 bn Ystrad Brecon + Thomas 47 (CENS)
6/5/1866 Esther Watkins Union St: minor dtr of Eynon butcher md Jno Williams Waterloo Street (SMPC)
16/10/1857 Eynon Watkins Butcher Union St Dies(CAM)
6/5/1866 Eynon Watkins Union St: Butcher: dtr Esther md Jno Williams Waterloo St
0/0/1845 Mary Watkins Butcher in Market (Hunts)
0/0/1851 Mary Watkins 4 Gower Place 50, butcher,bn Llngflch wdw (of Morgan) + sns
0/0/1852 Mary Watkins Butcher in Mkt of Dyfatty St (DIR)
0/0/1851 Morgan Watkins 4 Gower Place aged 18. +mthr Mary 50 butcher wdw (of Morgan) and brother William
29/1/1860 Morgan Watkin Butcher: son Wm Gower Place: md Mary Ann Attwood dtr Jno Schlmstr
0/0/1841 Thomas Watkins Mathew St Widow aged 37 Butcher bn Carms (CENS)
0/0/1845 Thomas Watkins Butcher in Market (Hunts)
0/0/1851 Thomas Watkins 2 Orchard St aged 34 butcher bn Ssea (CENS)
0/0/1851 Thomas Watkins Mathew St butcher aged 47  bn Llangadoc son? of Ann btchr aged 79
0/0/1852 Thomas Watkins Mathew St : Butcher in Mkt (DIR)
0/0/1852 Thomas Watkins Longfields; Butcher in Mkt (DIR)
11/6/1852 Thomas Watkins Market Butcher dies at 51 (CAM)
0/0/1854 Thomas Watkins Butcher: 29 Mathew St (Pearse54)
4/2/1859 Thomas Watkins Butcher Mathew St Dies (CAM)
29/1/1860 William Watkin Gower Place: Engine dvr: son of Morgan butcher md Mary Ann Attwood

Offline nigelw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 June 05 22:14 BST (UK) »
That's a lot of interesting stuff.  Will keep me busy for a while.  Much appreciated.

regards

Nigel

Offline nigelw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 June 05 17:05 BST (UK) »
Lyndon

Do you have any information on a David Watkins born Ilston circa 1805 and moved to Llangyfelach, father David and mother Anne.  One of his brothers a Daniel Watkins became a farm bailiff in Clyne Farm, Oystermouth

regards

Nigel

Offline Lyndon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 July 05 10:37 BST (UK) »
Would that be the David Watkins that married Ann Evans on 11/3/1791?
This could be your Daniel:
26/12/1851 Daniel Watkins Keeper Clyne Vivian v Wm Burgess Poaching 8161(CAMBRIAN)
10/4/1863 Daniel Watkins Clyne 5 Children die of Diptheria 8161 (CAMBRIAN)

Not much else I'm afraid. I do have some earlier references to Watkins in Ilston though. Must get round to putting this database on my website sometime!!

Hope this helps.

Lyndon