Author Topic: watkins Swansea/Gower  (Read 5373 times)

Offline nigelw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: watkins Swansea/Gower
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 July 05 11:51 BST (UK) »
This is brilliant, I strongly suspect that Daniel Watkins had a brother named David (my great, great grandfather) although I can find no reference to him in the parish records.  I know from the censuses that David was born in Ilston circa 1806 but, although I have baptism records for Daniel's siblings, I have none for David nor, strangely, Daniel himself.

Daniel's mother Anne Watkins died in Brynhyfryd, Llangyfelach Swansea and a David Watkins was present at the death. The only David Watkins that could have been was either my great, great, grandfather or his son David.

I think Daniel's father David Watkins died in a farm called Pwllyfroga in the parish of Bishopston in 1833 a short distance from Clyne Farm

regards Nigel

Interested in Tŷ Mawr, Cellan and Davies family.  I'm related to Joseph Davies and Rachel Davies both buried in the church yard.  Joseph died c 1833 and Rachel in the 1780s

Offline Lyndon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 10:55 GMT (UK) »
I just came across a David Watkins (b 1823) , brother of Isaac Watkins (b. 1832 m. Jemima Davies of Clyne Mill ). Isaac was the grandson of Rev Thomas Watkins (1744-1778) Vicar of Pennard and Llangennith. A descendant of Isaac was connected with Frogmoor Farm in Reynoldston  (Pwyllyfroga sounds like Frog Pool Farm to my brain with limited Welsh).

So again, no solid connection, but frustratingly close. I offer it just in case it rings any bells with you.
--
Lyndon
Watkins - Swansea. Thomas - Carmarthenshire. Stock - Rowberrow. Jarman - Montgomeryshire. Duck - Calne. Watts - Frome.

Offline welshgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Are you from Swansea?  If you are, I expect you know that Sydney Street and Bryn Street still exist but now come under the postal district of Brynhyfryd.  If you would like modern day photographs of these streets, I could happily oblige.
Neil family, Kilmarnock
Jones, Penrice, Gower

Offline nigelw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 November 06 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks

Nigel
Interested in Tŷ Mawr, Cellan and Davies family.  I'm related to Joseph Davies and Rachel Davies both buried in the church yard.  Joseph died c 1833 and Rachel in the 1780s