Author Topic: from 1911 census  (Read 736 times)

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
from 1911 census
« on: Wednesday 14 May 14 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Attached snipped from 1911 census, London, England. Pretty certain the fellow's first name was "Allin", and country "Switzerland", but am vague toward surname and placename.

Thanks,

Donald.
Primarly Coigach, but also other parts of Ross and Cromarty.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: from 1911 census
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 21:41 BST (UK) »
Perhaps - Aargau, Switzerland ?

JJ

Online conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 21:46 BST (UK) »
Is surname "Gratwohl"?

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 21:55 BST (UK) »
The place "looks" like Aargan, Switzerland so I typed that into Google maps ;) and it asked if I meant Aargau, Switzerland.

I have to agree with the FindMyPast transcription on what the surname looks like - GRATECOHL.
However this could be a gross misspelling or mishearing by the person filling in the household return - it's unlikely that the householder let the young chap fill in his own details.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 22:42 BST (UK) »
The place "looks" like Aargan, Switzerland so I typed that into Google maps ;) and it asked if I meant Aargau, Switzerland.

I have to agree with the FindMyPast transcription on what the surname looks like - GRATECOHL.
However this could be a gross misspelling or mishearing by the person filling in the household return - it's unlikely that the householder let the young chap fill in his own details.

Thanks all, yes, looks likely to be "Aargau", a German speaking canton on the north of Switzerland. Googling the terms Aargau and Gratwohl turns up "About 89,000 results", so that surname looks likely. I had been unsure as I'd guess "Allin" to be more a French forename than German.

Image of the census shows different handwriting for the Head and his wife, opposed to the four lodgers. The lodger above Allin appears to have almost back sloped writing indicating left handed, distinctively different.

I see Aargau includes Baden, a resort town, the lodger before Allin was "M. Margory Macdonald", subject of a thread in the England General board, she had returned from six years on the continent, including Switzerland, the year before, and in 1913 was at a Scottish spa town, Strathpeffer, doing crimes (she became a notorious jewel thief), so I am wondering if there might have been some connection between her and Allin, though probably never provable.

Donald.
Primarly Coigach, but also other parts of Ross and Cromarty.