Author Topic: "Freemen and apprentices in Kingston upon Hull" Records  (Read 3363 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
"Freemen and apprentices in Kingston upon Hull" Records
« on: Friday 16 May 14 15:24 BST (UK) »
Several years ago, a tremendous amount of information was obtained by a kind person regarding my Sarge ancestors.  I just came across records for "freemen and apprentices in Kingston upon Hull" from the Hull History Centre.  I don't believe we have seen those records before (I will search through my information to be sure!).

Would anyone know, please, what might be included in the records at the history centre?  Under the description for one of the records, it mentions the apprentice's name, his father's name and his profession and address, as well as the master's and witnesses' names.  Since all of this is mentioned in the description, might there actually be anything else on the actual document that isn't already mentioned?  (I hope my question makes sense.)  :-\

Thank you in advance for any comments regarding what might be included in the actual document.
Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Freemen and apprentices in Kingston upon Hull" Records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 May 14 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa...Have you emailed the History Centre to enquire what information is available..It might be worth asking..This might be of interest to you.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/ERY/Hull/Hull40Dry.html

English summary]) Out of special affection to the town of Kingston-upon-Hull and ...

[PDF]
THE RISE AND DECLINE OF GUILDS THE GUILDS OF ...

www.guildhallhistoricalassociation.org.uk/.../The%20Rise%20&%20Decl...

The Period of Apprenticeship, and the Number of Apprentices that a Master could take 21 ... Freemen of Gloucester who were Tilers or Bricklayers, or were the Sons of, .... As a result we find in the records of the London Tylers and Bricklayers' .... bricklayers, wallers and masons, as at Kingston-upon-Hull which included tilers

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 May 14 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol:

I've not yet written; good idea to do so.  I have my "Sarge binder" out again and will look through it to be sure that I don't already have the apprenticeship information (I am fairly certain I don't).

I will look through the information you kindly provided when I get home tonight (just on my way to work now, unfortunately).

Thank you very much for your reply, Carol.  It is very much appreciated.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 May 14 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol:

Thank you for posting the links.  While my Sarge ancestors were not living in Hull in 1840, it was quite interesting looking through the Hull Directory and reading the various occupations and information at the bottom of the page.  Most occupations I had read before, but some were new to me such as anchor smiths, button & mould mfrs, glass stainer, hair dressees, mustard manufactrs and toy dealers.

I could not get the second link to work, but when I typed your information, I found it on the internet.  I've only just started reading it so I cannot comment on the material.

Thank you again for taking the time to offer suggestions; it is appreciated.