Author Topic: Need Help reading German Death Certificate Sterbeurfunde  (Read 2613 times)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need Help reading German Death Certificate Sterbeurfunde
« on: Monday 19 May 14 00:11 BST (UK) »
  My Ilse is German but she too is stumped in trying to read some words in this certificate.  Can someone help?
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help reading German Death Certificate Sterbeurfunde
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 May 14 07:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Malcolm,

hope this helps.

Sterbeurkunde
Bersdorf am 3. Juli 1895
vor dem unterzeichneten Standesbeamten erschien heute, der Persönlichkeit nach bekannt
die Stellenbersitzersfrau Johanna
Karoline Vogel, geborene Reimann,
wohnhaft zu Bersdorf
und zeigte an, daß ihre Mutter die Auszüglerin
Marie Rosina Reimann, geborene
Purzker, fünfundsiebzig Jahre
alt, evangelischer Religion
wohnhaft zu Bersdorf
geboren zu Bersdorf, verheiratet gewesen
mit dem zu Bersdorf verstorbenen
Auszügler Karl Reimann
Tochter des Stellenbesitzers Gottlieb Purzker
und dessen Ehefrau Marie Rosina
geborene Blümel, beide zu Bersdorf
verstorben
zu Bersdorf im Gemeindebezirk
am zweiten Juli
des Jahres tausend achthundert neunzig und fünf
nachmittags um zehn Uhr
verstorben sei. Die anzeigende erklärte bei dem
Tode ihrer Mutter zugegen gewesen zu sein.

Vorgelesen, genehmigt und unterschrieben.
Johanna Karoline Vogel, geborene Reimann

Der Standesbeamte
Obsti

Daß vorstehender Auszug mit dem Sterbe-Haupt=Register des Standesamts zu Bersdorf, Kreis Jauer, gleichlautend ist, wird hiermit bestätigt.
Bersdorf, am 12. Januar 1937
Der Standesbeamti
Obsti

Stellenbesitzer  - Bauer, Landwirt
Auszügler         - Bauer nach Übergabe des Anwesens an seinen Erben

Time of death I read as "nachmittags um zehn Uhr".

There is a lot of information in  that certificate, lucky you.

Regards, Peonie

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 May 14 07:31 BST (UK) »
   Thank you so much Peonie.    Ilse has quite a number of certificates left her by her mother and all the others have been easy to read.   One thing that makes it difficult is that all the names of places have changed into Polish.

They had to do a certain amount of family research around 1937 because of Hitler's craziness about Aryan's.     So we have most of Ilse's mother's side, the Schlausch's who came from Schlesien in and near Striegau/Strzgom.    However we know little about her Dad's side, the Altenhof's as it is thought that they found a hint of something that would not have gone down well with the Nazi's.

Somebody else must have been researching Ilse's maternal ancestors as I found this entry in the IGI - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/MMBL-HZ8

We have the death certificate for Karl Schlausch but it doesn't name his or the parents of his wife.    It has to be the same Karl Schlausch because the date of death is the same 15 July 1864 and the place, Pilgrimshain is the same.    It doesn't give his birth date, but it does say that he was 38 years, 4 months and 14 days old, and that takes us back to the same date for his birth shown in the IGI.

If the other researcher has got it right then Karl's mother was Maria Rosina Springer and that is interesting because in the Who Do You Think You Are programme on Jerry Springer he traced his family back to Landsberg/Gorzow, Germany/Poland, though that town is well to the north of Striegau.

Thanks again,  Malcolm
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 12:57 BST (UK) »

Hi Malcolm and Ilse,

have you been to http://forum.ahnenforschung.net/? Scroll down and click on Schlesien. There are digitized books available to download which might be interesting for you. There is also a site with all places of Schlesien with German and Polish names: http://www.genealogienetz.de/reg/SCI/orte-d.html.

There are 59 telephone connections for Schlausch in Germany. http://www.verwandt.de/karten/absolut/schlausch.html
You can find out addresses and perhaps get in contact with a few people and see if they are related. http://www.dasoertliche.de/

Regards Peonie

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 20:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you Peonie,

Our main contact is Tom Nissel in Germany who is descended from a Hermann Schlausch who was also from Gabersdorf Striegau.   But we still haven't found that connection.  Ilse does get updates from a German Forum on Schlesien and I'll check with her when she gets up to see if it is the same one.

Ilse herself can only remember living with her grandmother in Striegau where she was evacuated to from Berlin during the war, but having only been born in 1937 these are faint memories of the town itself.  What she does remember is the horror of the long walk back into Germany when fleeing the Russians.   At some point they were able to take a train for the last part back to Berlin, though that was not the end of the terrible things she saw and remembers.

My daughter-in-law is from Christchurch in New Zealand and her family history is another story.  Her great grandfather was a Forsyth from Edinburgh and great grandmother Elizabeth Borkowski was from Bomst or Bornst? which is now Babimost far to the north of Striegau - west of Pozen.  Her parents and siblings came out on the Cartvale in 1876 and it is amazing that there are two diaries of the voyage on the net each one with entries every day of the voyage.    I have a cousin who has a business in Poland and has lived there for many years, but mostly now in Sicily.  Alan did send me addresses of many pages on the net on Borkowski's but being in Polish I've left them alone for now.     One thing we have learned is that that part of Poland to the north of Pozen and up as far as Danzig was another country once called Kashubia.    Furthermore the Borkowski's seem to have been much involved in the terrible uprising in 1863.    We do know that a Josef Borkowski who lived in the same area was hanged in November 1863, so perhaps that is why Leanne's family went to England and then New Zealand.

One branch of my own family lived in Ryton County Durham near Newcastle on Tyne for centuries and I've traced them back to around the 1660's.   So they would have gone through a bad time in August 1640 when an army of 20,000 Scots attacked their small town of Ryton with cannonballs and musket fire and then occupied the village and the people's homes.    The odd thing is that another ancestor may have been with that Scottish army who were mainly Covenanters.  We do know that one or two George Draffan's from my gt.grandfather James Draffan's  town of Lesmahagow were taken prisoner at Bothwell Brig when the Covanenters were defeated in 1672.

Thanks Again, Malcolm