Author Topic: Winifred Toinette ? a real Lancashire mystery  (Read 11770 times)

Paul Morrell

Re: Winifred Toinette ? a real Lancashire mystery
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

I see from your thread on Thomas, that you gave the Wikipedia entry.
Are you personally connected to the Morans or researching them for another purpose?

Regards
Heywood

Hi Heywood, no I have no personal connection with the Moran`s. I have an interest in local history and social history in general. I was reading about Oswald Mosley and the BUF a couple of years ago now. I recalled my Grandad mentioning that he remembered the Blackshirts (funny the quirky things you store in your long term memory) and so I decided to see if I could find a Derby connection, which I did with the wiki article. It has progressed from there really. I had no idea that the late 1940`s were such a politically volatile time. I wanted to find out why and where Tommy Moran had disappeared to after February 1949. He was such a big name in the BUF, "The Hero of Cable Street" and then apparently he was discarded and discredited by Mosley. It really is quite an intriguing slice of  "human interest".

Kind regards

Paul       

Paul Morrell

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 16:26 BST (UK) »
Have you tried to see if T or W Moran had a telephone number in Derby in the 1940s?

You might at least get an address that way  and that might lead to a business.

http://www.derby.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/libraries/derby-libraries/local-studies-library/

I think they have old telephone directories

Thanks jaywit, I`ll look into that one

Paul Morrell

« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

"Re Winifred`s date of birth, I have copies of various Derby local newspaper reports (for local election and magistrate court appearances from 1947 and 1948) that give Winifred`s age as 47."

I would not put much credence on the, reported birth year, in the June article 1948 she was 47, and in the Sept article  1948 she was 45

Thanks MargP, good advice, well spotted

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 17:54 BST (UK) »

Hi Heywood, no I have no personal connection with the Moran`s. I have an interest in local history and social history in general. I was reading about Oswald Mosley and the BUF a couple of years ago now. I recalled my Grandad mentioning that he remembered the Blackshirts (funny the quirky things you store in your long term memory) and so I decided to see if I could find a Derby connection, which I did with the wiki article. It has progressed from there really. I had no idea that the late 1940`s were such a politically volatile time. I wanted to find out why and where Tommy Moran had disappeared to after February 1949. He was such a big name in the BUF, "The Hero of Cable Street" and then apparently he was discarded and discredited by Mosley. It really is quite an intriguing slice of  "human interest".

Kind regards

Paul       

I thought you perhaps were connected to Thomas. It seems sad that he was buried in a common grave. It is very interesting and I hope it can be solved - history lessons for us all.  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thomas Patrick Moran, of 49 Chippenham Rd. Paddington, London, died 29 July 1963 Administration, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, 22 September, to Mary Moran, widow, £692.00

So this confirms that, Thomas and Winifred were not married, and why was Thomas buried, in a communal grave, when he had all that money

Margp 
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thomas Patrick Moran, of 49 Chippenham Rd. Paddington, London, died 29 July 1963 Administration, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, 22 September, to Mary Moran, widow, £692.00

So this confirms that, Thomas and Winifred were not married, and why was Thomas buried, in a communal grave, when he had all that money

Margp
I wonder who the informant was, on his death certificate, if it was Winifred, I wonder what name she had given
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 19:27 BST (UK) »
when he had all that money

We don't know what the estate comprised .. perhaps a good chunk of it was equity in Mary's home.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Paul Morrell

« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

Margp
I wonder who the informant was, on his death certificate, if it was Winifred, I wonder what name she had given

It was Winifred, W T  Moran

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk