Author Topic: 40 year mystery - Canada, British Army?  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 40 year mystery - Canada, British Army?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 10 May 23 09:58 BST (UK) »

When I asked about the Methodist religion in the area, I was wondering if one religion stood out as the predominant one - I was curious - I suppose wondering if all Ovens from the area were more than likely Methodist.  To my knowledge, my mum’s family and ancestors (once they settled in Canada) were Anglican (with a couple of Roman Catholic ancestors, too) and when I first found out that our John Ovens was Methodist, I was very surprised.

1901 census of Fermanagh:

Total population 65015

RC 35577
Church of Ireland/England 21445
Methodist 4604
Presbyterian 1201
Other/no religion: 2188
Elwyn

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 10 May 23 10:22 BST (UK) »

Arthur married in 1849. His father was John Ovens who was not a farmer:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1849/09362/5390425.pdf

I have been trolling through Irish newspapers for hours now looking at the Ovens around Arthur's area.  This is one massive family!
Anyways, I am hoping someone can make out the occupation of Arthur's father.... Captain in (something).
It would really help tie a few things together, so everyone squint at Elwyn's link please!  ;D

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 10 May 23 10:44 BST (UK) »
Anyways, I am hoping someone can make out the occupation of Arthur's father.

"Captain in the Line". An army rank.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 10 May 23 12:03 BST (UK) »

Perhaps Church Hill Road is a major/long road in the area…I’ve run across the name in the past;

Church Hill Road in relation to Corracloon.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3619622#map=15/54.4501/-7.8191

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 10 May 23 12:59 BST (UK) »
On the map that Kiltglassan has kindly provided, the orange shaded buildings in the top left of the townland (delineated in red) is the Ovens farm.
Elwyn

Offline UKgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 10 May 23 13:02 BST (UK) »
Quote from Lisa:
For some reason, (for years) I thought Inishmacsaint was located near Lough Neagh.  I was very surprised to open your link to discover Enniskillen, etc. was so far from what I pictured.

Not Lough Neagh, but Lough Erne. Inishmacsaint/Enniskillen are located by Lough Erne.

When you Google "Lough Erne", you will see that it is stunning.
In 2013, the G8 summit was held at the Lough Erne Resort, Enniskillen, and President Barack Obama attended.

Just a bit of background info to bring the place to life for you.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 10 May 23 15:05 BST (UK) »
Belfast Newsletter 9 March 1849, page 4 has a report of the death of Captain John Ovens of Rockfort Lodge, Bundoran. His fowling piece exploded while he was loading it, sending the ramrod through his head.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 10 May 23 19:57 BST (UK) »
Note: we’ve had a very cool, wet Spring.  Starting this weekend, the weather forecast is expected to be 30°F higher than what we’ve experienced this year (and this week).  We are trying to clear dead brush on the perimeter of our property before the weather changes.  So far, our hillside is winning the battle; I don’t think we’ll finish before we get our typical summer temps.  I wish I could reply now but I have to get back to cutting.  Briefly, before I go:

A short bit of history about Honora and our Ovens families (most likely mentioned previously in other threads).  (Sorry for posting so many threads about the Ovens; I wanted to solve the puzzle before my mum passed away.)
Honora lived in County Donegal.  For various reasons, she and my mum ”knew” that we were distantly related. Honora knew a lot about her family and ancestors and came to the conclusion that our John was Captain John Ovens.  Captain Ovens was not our John.  The Captain died in Ireland.  I have a miniature copy of a painting of Captain Ovens and his family, given to us by Honora - several children are included in the painting.  I briefly tried to find it just now - I will look again later as I may have the childrens’ names with the copy.

As mentioned in one of the above links, there was also a Major John Ovens.  He is distantly related to Honora. Honora’s father or grandfather was also a distinguished military man.

I thought perhaps the John Ovens who “died” in 1835 might be my John. If there was a mistake with the regimental rolls and he actually deserted, then that would certainly classify him as the family black sheep.

I have no interest in being associated with both military men.  Status, in any form, does not interest me.  To date, all of my ancestors were common people and I am very content with that knowledge.  I am thrilled by the shop owners, locksmiths, coopers, etc. as I’ve come to know about them and their lives, with the outstanding help of RootsChatters.  I would like to be able to finally find that connection to Honora.  I would like to confirm that I have or haven’t found John’s parents.

I’ve rattled on far too long.  I will be back in several hours.  Apologies for not being able to do more now.  A huge thank you to everyone!

Added: I kept all of Honora’s letters.  From one letter, dated 1998:
“…Anyway your branch of the family had gone to America by the time that painting was done. But I am convinced that there is a blood tie!”  Also,
“My grandfather…had a good deal of land in Eniskillen and a great many relations there too.”
          So, Honora didn’t believe Captain John Ovens (died 1849) was our John!

I will read all of her correspondence tonight.  There could be clues about other Ovens.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)