Author Topic: 40 year mystery - Canada, British Army?  (Read 2289 times)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: 40 year mystery - Canada, British Army?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 11 May 23 06:55 BST (UK) »
1901 census of Fermanagh:

Total population 65015

RC 35577
Church of Ireland/England 21445
Methodist 4604
Presbyterian 1201
Other/no religion: 2188

Thank you, Elwyn.  Very interesting totals.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 11 May 23 07:05 BST (UK) »
I have been trolling through Irish newspapers for hours now looking at the Ovens around Arthur's area.  This is one massive family!
Anyways, I am hoping someone can make out the occupation of Arthur's father.... Captain in (something).
It would really help tie a few things together, so everyone squint at Elwyn's link please!  ;D

bbart, thank you so much for taking the time to look!  I do like your squint comment.  ;D

When we visited Ireland, my mum spoke to an elderly gentleman asking him something about Ovens folks.  While I don’t remember her question I can vaguely picture him pointing and saying something about “there are Ovens all over up past the hill” (or something to that effect).  Actually, thinking about it, it must have been in County Donegal as that was where Honora lived.  Anyway, while Ovens is an extremely uncommon name in North America, apparently Donegal and Fermanagh were/are overrun with them. ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 11 May 23 07:15 BST (UK) »
Anyways, I am hoping someone can make out the occupation of Arthur's father.

"Captain in the Line". An army rank.

Thank you, ShaunJ.  I never would have figured it out.

Thank you also for the links!  I believe I have a copy of the 1849 will.  When I found it, I thought it had something to do with my Ovens family.  I don’t believe I ever saw the notation in the book; thank you for finding it.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 11 May 23 07:24 BST (UK) »

Perhaps Church Hill Road is a major/long road in the area…I’ve run across the name in the past;

Church Hill Road in relation to Corracloon.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3619622#map=15/54.4501/-7.8191

Thank you for providing the link, Kiltaglassan.  I’m a “visual person” so looking at the map is very helpful.  I’ve already started looking at other locations as well.  :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 11 May 23 07:27 BST (UK) »
On the map that Kiltglassan has kindly provided, the orange shaded buildings in the top left of the townland (delineated in red) is the Ovens farm.

Thank you for pointing it out, Elwyn.  That is amazing.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 11 May 23 07:42 BST (UK) »
Quote from Lisa:
For some reason, (for years) I thought Inishmacsaint was located near Lough Neagh.  I was very surprised to open your link to discover Enniskillen, etc. was so far from what I pictured.

Not Lough Neagh, but Lough Erne. Inishmacsaint/Enniskillen are located by Lough Erne.

When you Google "Lough Erne", you will see that it is stunning.
In 2013, the G8 summit was held at the Lough Erne Resort, Enniskillen, and President Barack Obama attended.

Just a bit of background info to bring the place to life for you.

I don’t know why I thought Inishmacsaint was near Lough Neagh.  It’s strange as the loughs(?) are not near each other.  The internet images are beautiful; I will have to explore the area, via internet this weekend.  I do enjoy reading about and seeing places where my ancestors (may have) lived.  It’s so much better than just collecting ancestors’ names and dates.  Thank you, UKgirl.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 11 May 23 07:46 BST (UK) »
Belfast Newsletter 9 March 1849, page 4 has a report of the death of Captain John Ovens of Rockfort Lodge, Bundoran. His fowling piece exploded while he was loading it, sending the ramrod through his head.

What a shock it must have been for the family.  Seems a bit surprising for a military man but I suppose accidents do happen.  Thank you for posting the details, ShaunJ.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 13 May 23 08:49 BST (UK) »
…I will read all of her correspondence tonight.  There could be clues about other Ovens.

In 1984, I sent letters to every Ovens (not related to my family) listed in the Toronto, Ontario directory.  I received replies from almost everyone; I was never able to find a connection. I kept the correspondence and have been looking through every letter, as well as Honora’s letters.

I am now wondering if the John Ovens, son of William Ovens and Eliz. Stinson, was possibly not my ancestor.  Perhaps it is just a coincidence that a Jennie Stinson was living with John and his family in 1881, and that she was not related to Eliz. Stinson.  (I’ve not been able to positively find Jennie’s family.) My mum once told me that our John was born in Co. Donegal, then for decades said Co. Fermanagh.  I think I’m on a wild goose chase.  :-\

Adding bits from the aforementioned correspondence for my future reference and in case anyone is still following this thread (and has any suggestions).  Also included: two records from Anc*try.

My John Ovens was a school teacher in 1850.  No connection has been found (yet) to my John Ovens, but also teachers:
   Thomas Ovens, born 1780 Ennismacsaint, Co. Fermanagh.
   He was a schoolmaster (no date, no place).
   Served 11 years as sergeant and corporal, discharged 1816.

Ontario, Canada Deaths
   James Ovens.  [Possibly lived in Asphodel, Peterborough East, Ontario, Canada as early as 1871]
   Died 25 Sept 1895, Peterborough, Ontario, age 88 years.  Born Co. Fermanagh, Ireland.
   Retired school teacher.  Methodist.
I’ve not yet been able to find additional facts about the men. It is interesting that they were teachers. Perhaps just a common occupation?
—————————
Details from Honora’s letters

…Actually, we [her family] all stem from County Fermanagh.”    4 Sept 1984

“… actually I am certain we are related but just how it is hard to fathom…your airman uncle’s picture [referring to my mum’s cousin] certainly looked very much like my nephew…We descend direct from a Dutch general who came with William of Orange and got granted a lot of bad land in County Fermanagh…The general’s name started off as Van Oyen and then became Ovens…religion - ours has been Church of Ireland for generations…and I’m certain there is a blood tie.”    26 July 1985
Note: my mum mentioned Holland and Van Oyen but I don’t know if that was told to her by relatives or if she was repeating Honora’s words.  :-[

“…My [ancestor] John Coote Ovens had a good deal of land in Enniskillen and a great many relations there too.  His ancestor was the general who came to Ireland with king William of Orange and paid off a good many of his troops with other peoples land!…Rev. James Ovens only had three surviving children, two girls and a boy – John Coote Ovens…they [the children??] moved to Donegal about 1800…dad sold the last bit of the Enniskillen property in 1922.”    17 Nov 1998

Ovens painting - 16 June 1846.   Captain John Ovens, Mrs. John ovens, children: Louisa E.W., Emily E., William F.J.(or Y.).

Captain John Ovens had brothers William and Hugh of Rahalton.

2002-03 correspondence with “William”, of Guelph, Ontario
“My ancestor, Robert James Ovens was born in Inishmacsaint Parish, Co. Fermanagh c1802…c1820’s he married Elizabeth Dixon of Inishmacsaint…”.  Robert Ovens came to Canada c1830.  William’s father “…suggested at one time that the Ovens came from Scotland to Ireland after the battle of Culloden…and after the defeat let out for Ireland rather than be transported to Australia.“

6 June 1985, Mr. Ovens, Unionville, Ontario
“our ancestors originally came from Holland, settled in Ireland in the county of Cork then came to Quebec and later to Ontario…the names John, Robert and Edward were common in our family tree.”  [As well in my tree]

I will search for details about Honora’s relatives but now I believe if we are related that it will be very, very distantly.  It’s odd though that her nephew and my mum’s cousin looked so alike. Huge apologies for the length of this posting.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 13 May 23 09:41 BST (UK) »
The PRONI e-catalogue has about 45 hits on “Ovens” & “Fermanagh.” If you can track the right family down you might find it helpful.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/services/search-pronis-ecatalogue

Examples from the catalogue are:

D464/33
20 April 1781

Lease for three lives from 1 May 1780 of land at Drumbuckeny, Co. Fermanagh. Rent £35. stg per annum. Hugh Montgomery, Castle Hume, Co. Fermanagh, to Rev. Wm. Ovens, Saint Catherines, Co. Fermanagh.

D627/450/10
1 May 1794

Letter from Hugh Montgomery to Rev. Wm. Ovens. Lord Belmore has already written to the Bishop in favour of a friend of Lady Belmore. We have warmer weather now here than you ever feel at any season in Fermanagh.

D1550/8
Hugh Ovens, Inishmacsaint, Co. Fermanagh, copy will. [1794]

The documents themselves are not usually on-line. A visit to PRONI is required to view them.

MacLysaght’s “The Surnames of Ireland” says about Ovens: “A locative name from Old-English ofen, furnace, found in Co. Fermanagh”.

The name is certainly not a native Irish name and the religious denomination tends to reinforce that. So the families undoubtedly migrated to Ireland at some point.  Most Scots, English (and there were some Welsh) settlers moved to Ireland in the 1600s. By the 1700s they were starting to leave again. An arrival post 1746 (Culloden) is not impossible, but would have been against the prevailing flow. It also seems a slightly odd place for someone supposedly on the run from Culloden to go to. The majority of Protestants in Ulster were pro-Crown and big supporters of King William. The Jacobites, defeated at Culloden, were anti-William (hoping to replace him with the Stuart Catholic Prince Charlie).  So taking refuge in Ulster where most settlers supported King William would seem a fairly risky strategy.

The Ovens were clearly well established in Fermanagh in the mid 1700s. But there weren’t any in the 1630 Muster Rolls, so they appear to have arrived after that.

William the Orange’s army did have a Van Oyen in it. I am afraid he was just a Colonel, not a General. (Sorry to have to demote him). Mathias Van Oyen. He gets a mention in this book:

http://www.reenactor.ru/ARH/PDF/Sapherson_00.pdf
Elwyn