Author Topic: Reading documents  (Read 5452 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
Reading documents
« on: Friday 23 May 14 14:14 BST (UK) »
Can someone help please. Not sure if I am in right place.

I have a copy of a land registry doc and need someone to read the  hand writing but not sure how to attached the doc.  Can I do it as pdf?  I am not very good with computers so any instructions will have to be simple please.
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reading documents
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 May 14 08:29 BST (UK) »
You can attach a pdf document but be careful, concerning putting it all up, because of copyright restrictions.

Best to do it in bits, probably.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 May 14 11:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dawn, will try copying  just the handwriting I can't read.

Moving on you mention copyright, I am putting my research into book form for children. They not interested at moment but who knows in the future. Would I be able to use, census, birth death and marriage certs? I have originals that have been handed down and they are all my immediate family. It would not be for 're-sale.

You have got me thinking now.

Jane

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 May 14 09:40 BST (UK) »
Well, I see you are in the UK and I'm not sufficiently 'up' on UK Copyright law to advise.
In general terms, if your book is going to be a one copy only, it is not considered 'published' so you should be able to use your ORIGINAL certificates.
Two or more copies is usually what is considered 'published' whether you sell it or give it away.
And then you may have to provide Legal Deposit copies - in Australia this means we have to give (free) a copy to our National Library and State Library and in Qld. also to our Parliamentary Library.
Don't know what happens in UK.

But are they really originals?  Or what you or your family originally bought from the GRO?
True originals will be what the parish issued for the Baptism or Marriage, and for death it would be what the doctor filled in for the GRO (unlikely thus to be an original); and the census would be a copy of what your family filled in, to keep as a souvenir.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 May 14 10:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dawn

Have had 're think 're book. Going to do it in Word and print in booklet form myself, I can add pics etc. Yes all the birth, marriage and death certs are originals, been in family since 1800's. I also have original indentured papers fo.r gtx.grandfather and his son. Together with many original letters.

My family like me were Magpies!.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 May 14 07:37 BST (UK) »
If they are originals you have held in the family all that time, then there is no copyright involved.
If there was, then you would be the copyright holder.

Lucky you, to have them. Treat them with kid gloves!   :)  :)  :)

Dawn M

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 May 14 10:00 BST (UK) »
Yes Dawn I am very lucky, keep them safe in plastic sleeves. Was thinking of laminating them but don't think that is good idea, although would preserve them better. Some of the really old docs have survived really well, but Grandfathers birth cert 1888 has seen better days.  Many of docs are on waxed paper and are fine but the writing has faded a bit. That's why I thought of laminating.

The doc I am trying to read is a copy from US land registry 1837, the handwriting is too difficult although with magnifying glass have made out some words, most importantly ancestors name , date and size of plot are easy to read.  That is enough but would like to read the rest.

Thanks for your interest in this topic. Nice talking to you.
Jane

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 May 14 13:41 BST (UK) »
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES LAMINATE THE DOCUMENTS

That is the very best way to destroy them.

If you want to protect the documents to allow them to be handled then encapsulate them. Encapsulation seals the document in an inert sleeve which may be cut open to release the document.

Whereas lamination glues the lamination to the document, this glue is often acidic and will destroy the document in time. Additionally the plastics used for the lamination give off a gas which causes a chemical reaction with the document sealed inside.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 May 14 15:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Guy

Thank God I mentioned that here! Although did think it might be bad. Is it enough to keep in unsealed plastic sleeves, don't know how to encapsulate them.

Much appreciated.

Jane