Author Topic: Where is Attysheogue, Tobber, Offaly , Gargan, and Beechmount?  (Read 6758 times)

Offline villandra

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where is Attysheogue, Tobber, Offaly , Gargan, and Beechmount?
« on: Saturday 24 May 14 22:43 BST (UK) »
My ancestor, Robert Lowe of Lurgan, Offaly, owned 105 acres in "Attysheogue, Tobber, Offaly", and owned 62 acres in "Tubber".  He acquired them in 1860 and sold them in 1863.   

Inquiring minds are dying to know.  What is Attysheogue?   Griffiths thinks Tobber/ Tubber is a townland named Tober.   But Attysheogue has the appearance of a townland.   

Google has never heard of Attysheogue.   

I imagine the name is spelled roughly phonetically correctly, in English phonetics or else Gaelic phonetics, which probably leaves a large number of possibilities.

I also need to find "Gargan", and "Beechmount".  Beechmount is spelled more than one way. 

Most of the places where these people lived were along the Westmeath/ Offaly border, and for instance there is real confusion about where the townland Lurgan is, and indeed the maps leave me wondering if the county line moved.   So this place could conceivably be in County Westmeath.

For some unaccountable reason, Robert's spinster daughters lived at High St in Tullamore in 1905.  Their family seemed to be living in Tyrellspass (Cornaher) and Lurgan.   

Robert is described as "of Lurgan" in both deeds - very peculiar.   He and his son held land in Raheenduff, Geashill, Offaly, in the 1890's, south of Tullamore, and in Cornaher, County Westmeath, 6 miles to the east, in the 1890's.   Very peculiar.   Unless the family were more widespread than can be proven with available evidence, or else based elsewhere than immediately around Lurgan, they didn't hold much at all in the 1820's through 1850's.   Yet I get the idea the family was very pretentious.  A son was forced to emigrate to Canada for marrying the daughter of the chief tenant who lived on the other side of the barnyard.  The family were descended from Cromwellian gentry, and Cornaher was one of the original core Low estates.   My 3x great grandfather, a "laborer" at age 22 in the 1830's, joined the RIC, never returned home, and I have the idea he didn't care, and his descendants forgot where they were from except that his brother had lived in Cornaher, and the RIC record identified his county of birth and his landlord, and also this is the Lowe line that carries a story about Lowes more than six feet tall.  (Samuel the seven foot giant)

Thanks!

Dora

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Attysheogue, Tobber, Offaly , Gargan, and Beechmount?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 May 14 00:39 BST (UK) »
This is usually great for finding places http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,591271,743300,0,10
You will at least get Lurgan, I'm not having any luck with the rest.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 May 14 01:12 BST (UK) »
If you google Attysheogue there is a result in the Freemans Journal 21 October 1861 which I can't view but looking at the results page you get

... of the Lands of Attysheogue, otherwise Tobber, containing 106a. lr. ljk, or thereabouts, statute measure, situate in the Barony of Kllcoursey and King's County, ...

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 May 14 01:30 BST (UK) »
Tobber gets a mention in Offaly County Council Rural Water Program 2012 so it does exist

Here there is a parish of Tobber and Kilmanagh in Westmeath http://www.from-ireland.net/roman-catholic-dioceses-westmeath-1836/

Offline villandra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 May 14 02:16 BST (UK) »
I find what you found.   I must have mistyped it, or miscopied it, or something, because when I previously tried I got nothing.   

Tobber and Tubber are evidently Kilmanaghan, where I already knew they lived.   But they didn't own the whole parish - or two parishes, or three, depending on which definition you believe. 

Thanks!

Now for Beechmount, which is in Mucklagh, somewhere; Google claims it exists, has a manor house, won't tell me where it is.   And Gargan.   

I found out where Lurgan is a long time ago.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 May 14 08:44 BST (UK) »
You'll find Muchlagh with the OSI viewer, just southwest of Tullamore.
Haven't time to study it now but I can see a Beeachwood on the modern map which may be reusing an older name.
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,630171,722456,5,3

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 May 14 11:09 BST (UK) »

You'll find Muchlagh with the OSI viewer, just southwest of Tullamore.
Haven't time to study it now but I can see a Beeachwood on the modern map which may be reusing an older name.
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,630171,722456,5,3

I can see the Beechwood you refer to, however the name doesn't match what's there today, which is Beechmount (as in Beechmount Park) ... but I'm jiggered if I can find any Beechmount / Beechwood reference in Mucklagh in either the 6" mapping series of 1837-42 or the 25" series of 1888-1913 that it might be based on.

The area with the current label "Beechmount Park" is at the western extremity of Mucklagh townland where it borders  on Screggan townland (which does have a "Screggan Manor" back in the 1800s).  An online reference suggests that the current "Beechmount Park" was originally a stone quarry, which makes me wonder about any "manor house".

Villandra, could you provide any more information about the reference confirming your "Beechmount" in Mucklagh, Offaly?

BTW, there is another well known family in Offaly who lived in Beechmount, but quite a few miles away in Clara (the 'Goodbody' family):

http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/family-show.jsp?id=1303

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/King_s_Co_/Clara/Clara/1468348/

Just a few thoughts.

Offline teemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 May 14 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am from Clara town which is about 5 miles from Tubber, in Co. Offaly.  I think the "Gargan" you are referring to could be Grogan which is located in Ballycumber about 6 miles from Tubber.  I've added a link which will help identify it on a map for you - http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?county=OF&name=&town=&townland=0741&type=quick&page=1

Beechmount House

(http://webgis.buildingsofireland.ie/niahviewer/index.html?REG_NO=14802013) is located on the Kilbeggan Rd., approx. 1 mile from Clara town and was built by the Goodbody family in the late 1880's. It is located in the Barony of Kilcoursey.  THe local council built several housing estates in the area in the 70's/80's and one of these is called Beechmount Ave. 

The other Beechmount mentioned in Mucklagh is also a local council estate.

If there is anything else you need to clarify please let me know.

Regards,

Teemac

Offline brendan thomas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 August 14 19:51 BST (UK) »
Teemac, well done.  I agree with you, although not living as closely to Clara-Tober- Ballycumber, its much more likely to be Beechmount in Clara (which is on the Clara to Kilbeggan road).