Author Topic: John Dean Derham bapt Fawley 1831  (Read 2204 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Dean Derham bapt Fawley 1831
« on: Thursday 29 May 14 08:32 BST (UK) »
According to Hampshire baptism transcriptions on FindMyPast, John Dean Derham was baptised in Fawley on 14 Aug 1831, son of John and Mary. Please can someone help in identifying which John Derham was his father. I have several John Derhams on my tree but none of the right age are married to a Mary in the 1820s/30s.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Dean Derham bapt Fawley 1831
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 May 14 09:06 BST (UK) »
Family Search has the burial of John Da... Derham on 7 Sep 1831 at Fawley.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 May 14 09:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that does sound like it might be him. So sad only lived a few weeks, and would be why he doesn't appear on the 1841 census.
So far I have two candidates for John Dean's father. John Hopkins Derham born abt 1809 Christchurch (son of Peter Derham and Sarah Hopkins) and  John Derham born abt 1796 Morden Dorset (son of Joseph Derham and Mary Lovel). I haven't any further information about either John, so I don't know if or who they married, but the age would be feasible to have a son in 1831.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 May 14 11:53 BST (UK) »
Looking at the 1841 census, there is a John Derham with a Mary Derham both aged 40, so assume married couple, with Charles and Henry aged 5 and 1, so assume they are John and Mary's sons. They are living in Ringwood. John's occupation is farmer. This couple could be a candidate for John Dean's parents. The trouble is they disappear completely after 1841 and I can't find any deaths in the Ringwood area. As all the family were born in Hants, this rules out Morden John, although age is a reasonable fit given the rounding down in 1841. But I think this may throw up a third possibility for John Derham father of John Dean.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 May 14 13:33 BST (UK) »
Familysearch has baptism for Charles John Derham on 17 April 1836 in Christchurch parents John and Mary and also baptism for Henry Derham 12 April 1840 in Harbridge parents John and Mary, so that looks like the family I found on 1841 census. Dorset OPC has marriage for John Derham of Fauley (sic) and Mary Dean in Holdenhurst on 27 July 1830. So that looks like John Dean's parents but still not definitely the couple living in Ringwood in 1841. One witness to the marriage of John and Mary was William Waterman. In 1795 a Frances Derham married Thomas Waterman in Hordle in 1792, so maybe a connection there. I had thought this Frances was my  4 x great grandfather's sister, but this would make her 37 at marriage which seems a bit old.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 June 14 16:47 BST (UK) »
Still plugging away at this one. I have found grant of administration for Mary Derham widow who died in Alverstoke in 1849 to her aunt also called Mary Derham of Bona vista, Lymington (spinster). I think must actually be her aunt in law - aunt of her late husband John. The grant wasn't until 1859 - 10 years after Mary's death. Aunt Mary is also described as guardian to Henry and Mary, two of the children of the deceased Mary. There is also a death registered for a John Derham in Alverstoke district Mar quarter 1847. So this looks like the family I found in 1841. Henry's birth was reg in Ringwood district in 1840 and there is also a Mary Louisa Derham reg in Ringwood district in 1843, so that seems to match with the two children that aunt Mary was looking after. The older child (Charles) would have been over 21 in 1859.
Searching 1851 census for Aunt Mary, there is a single Mary Derham at Bona vista age 44 (b abt 1807) so it looks like she may be the children's aunt rather than the aunt (in law) of the deceased. Her birthplace was Hordle.
Does anyone have access to parish records for Hordle to see if there is a John and Mary bapt abt 1800 and 1807 respectively, please. 

Online Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 18:06 BST (UK) »
I found the following :

Mary Derham daughter of John & Mary 11 Mar 1800 Hordle
John DURHAM son of John & Mary 2 Jun 1803 Hordle

also
Elizabeth Durham     John & Mary  7 Oct 1804 Hordle
Batthia Durham        John & Mary 2 Jun 1803 Horlde
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 18:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I had searched for Derham on FindMyPast but not Durham. And the parents are yet another John and Mary. But now it looks as if more is falling into place.
I have John Derham bapt 28 Feb 1722 in Morden Dorset. He married a Mary (not sure maiden name and when but best candidate seems to be Mary Perrett at Canford Magna on 22 Aug 1752). John and Mary (1) baptised their oldest children in Morden and then moved to the Christchurch area and had several more including a second Frances (I mistakenly had the older Frances who died young marrying Thomas Waterman on earlier post). Frances Waterman is on 1851 census and her birth year and POB match with her being the daughter of John and Mary (1). She was also witness at marriage of James Derham (my direct ancestor - one of the Morden batch of children) to Betty Sibley in Holdenhurst. 

John Derham (2) born abt 1758 married Mary Thomas on 12 Feb 1799 at Christchurch. Up until now I had only two children for them Bethia born 18 Apr 1803 and and Abel Thomas Derham born 31 Aug 1807 but not baptised until 24 May 1809 in Christchurch. The baptism of Batthia (about 5 - 6 weeks after birth) that you found to John and Mary in Hordle looks like the same family. Both these children died in their early 20's without marrying - buried at Christchurch Priory.

John Derham (3) married Mary Dean in 1830 (one witness was William Waterman - Thomas Waterman and Frances Derham had a son William, so would be John Derham (3)'s first cousin).
So in the absence of another John and Mary Derham born in the early 1800s and dying before 1851, I think that the couple who had Henry, Charles and Mary were also the parents of John Dean Derham.

The only missing bit is baptism of John Derham (2) to prove he was also son of John and Mary (1), from his age it should be in Morden as he is a bit older than my 4 x great grandfather.