Author Topic: Can't find record of marriage for my grandmother  (Read 3826 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find record of marriage for my grandmother
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 June 14 11:15 BST (UK) »
They married in Scotland in 1940.   You would have to buy the certificate as you can only see the index on Scotlands People.

Lawrence Peter Davis married Nicholette G. Weston-Vernaay 1940 Leith, Edinburgh.   One wonders where the name Vernaay comes from.

Curiouser and curiouser!

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Domenica007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 June 14 11:34 BST (UK) »
Oh wow! Do you know how long ive searched for that record??? I always suspected they got married in another country but never searched lol
thank you so much!

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 June 14 12:28 BST (UK) »
Have you considered Gretna Green?  Ive just put Weston / Davis into Scotlands People and it says there's one match. 

Added - there may be more but I restricted the years as per your original dates

Added again - I obviously hadn't read the full thread!
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 June 14 12:48 BST (UK) »
She would have been 16/17 when she married in 1940. She would have needed her parents permission to marry in England but not in Scotland, so although not at Gretna Green but it wouldn't matter where in Scotland she married.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Domenica007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 June 14 01:58 BST (UK) »
Yes she would have been 17 when she married LP Davis. Is someone able to please get me the file and page numbers so I can order a marriage cert? I don't have credit for that service.
I'm also wondering if she was pregnant at the time or had child to LP Davis? She was already pregnant to her 2nd husband by the time she was 20, so the marriage didn't last long. She also stated that her first husband, LP Davis died in WWII but in her marriage to husband #2, in 1946, but the marriage cert clearly says the divorced wife of.......

Offline EeyoreBlue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 June 14 15:00 BST (UK) »
Is it possible they divorced, then he was killed in WWII.  That way, your grandmother would have been telling the truth, but also, so was her marriage certificate.  Just a thought!  This happened to my neighbour.  She married very young, at the beginning of the war, divorced, then her (ex) husband died, and she remarried.
Marshall (Northumberland)
Burns (Scotland, Durham, Northumberland)
Chilton (Northumberland, Cumbria, Durham)
Dixon (Northumberland)
Brown (Northumberland, Cumbria)
Tallentire & variants (Durham)
Phillips (Briton Ferry, Wales)
Seaton (Cumbria)
Moffat (Cumbria)
Garstang (Cumbria, Lancashire)