Author Topic: Walter Gordon,Royal Infirmary Glasgow  (Read 3212 times)

Offline far away

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walter Gordon,Royal Infirmary Glasgow
« on: Monday 02 June 14 09:47 BST (UK) »
My ggg-grandfather Walter Gordon, a weaver from Aberdeen married Catherine Lamond(t) 1827 in MacDuff. He spent his life from then as a weaver in MacDuff then suddenly I find him as a Labourer in Glasgow when he died at the Royal Infirmary Glasgow 20 April 1835,two months before the birth of his youngest child. His family were still in MacDuff. His residence at the time of his death is stated as Parkhead. Is this in Glasgow? He was buried in the lair of St Marys churchyard Glasgow in Common Ground,would anyone have any knowledge of the whereabouts of this church and whether records would exist for it please? And what does "Common Ground" mean? I imagine he must have come upon hard times as a Weaver to suddenly be labouring.Another thread to research? I live in New Zealand so am unable to visit Archives so any help is most appreciated. Thank you.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Gordon,Royal Infirmary Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 June 14 19:24 BST (UK) »
How did you confirm it was the correct Walter Gordon?

Common ground is unmarked burial for those who couldn't afford a lair.

Offline far away

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 June 14 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Sancti
I have Walters death record from the Infirmary and the Sheriffs Court inventory of the disposal of his personal effects to his wife Catherine. I am wondering if there would be any records for the Church burials as I haven't had any luck from over here (NZ). I thought local knowledge might come up with something . . .
Thank you for your interest. I thought as much about common ground but it's nice to have it confirmed.

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 12:35 BST (UK) »
Far Away as Sancti has stated common ground was for those who couldn`t afford their own lair and if your relative was RC and you say he lived in the parkhead area then he may have come under St Mary`s abercromby st in the Calton district which lies between the Royal Infirmary and Parkhead and covers that area you could apply to the Catholic Archdiose at the above chapel or Glasgow itself.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 13:33 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure St Mary's existed in 1835 and haven't heard of a cemetery attached to it.

Offline ayrgenes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 16:45 BST (UK) »
As has been said, St Mary's, Calton is in Abercromby St in the Calton area. I went to the school in the mid 60's, but never heard of a cemetery/churchyard. If Walter lived in the Parkhead area the nearest catholic cemetery woud have been St Peter's, Dalbeth on the London Rd, about 5 minutes away. You could email Sharon at the Archdiocese, she is usually very helpful.

Sharon.Scullion@rcag.org.uk

Davie
Dempster - Glasgow, Muirkirk, Sorn, Ayrshire
McIntyre - Glasgow, Campsie
Hinde - Glasgow, Wolverhampton
McLintock - Glasgow, Kilmarnock,
McGlade - Rutherglen, Ireland
Kettlewell - Yorkshire

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 17:29 BST (UK) »
Sancti and aryenes your correct forget to tie in the dates it is to early for St Mary`s in the Calton but there seems to be a few other denominations who have used St Mary`s the name that is and im sorry that I confused the issue there did seem to be a few churchs that have ceased all around the east end of Glasgow and maybe writing to the main dioceses of them you maybe eventually come across the correct faith and then burial ground if it still here.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline ayrgenes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 18:50 BST (UK) »
just had a glance at my old 1857 Glasgow map. There is a burial ground marked near the Convent just above St Mary's, near Henrietta St off Gallowgate. So that is probably the one?

Davie
Dempster - Glasgow, Muirkirk, Sorn, Ayrshire
McIntyre - Glasgow, Campsie
Hinde - Glasgow, Wolverhampton
McLintock - Glasgow, Kilmarnock,
McGlade - Rutherglen, Ireland
Kettlewell - Yorkshire

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was just wondering if there are 2 Walter Gordons here?

You say you have his Infirmary records and from these I assume you have the information about the burial in common ground (which is usually for people who could not afford to buy a lair)?  Or do you have that from other documents?

You have also said that you have obtained an Inventory of his Estate from a Sheriff Court.  It would be very rare, I would have thought, for someone with very little money to have to get Confirmation of an Estate in 1835?  Also, did he die intestate or is there also a Will?

Carolineasb
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire