Author Topic: CULTER CHURCHYARD Photographs & Monumental Inscriptions  (Read 5697 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CULTER CHURCHYARD Photographs & Monumental Inscriptions
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 March 21 09:41 GMT (UK) »
@ Lodger, Pairman, Black in his "Surnames!" has a Will & a Cristie Pairman in East Teviotdale in 1569, another Pairman, J.R, was on the staff of Chambers the publisher Edinburgh.

Willison is a new one on me but, lo & behold, a Det' Sgt Willison in todays paper!  ;D

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline Simone968

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 November 23 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello (from Australia),

Could you please post the photo's of the following graves.

CARRICK, BALLANTYNE, RUSSELL & RAMSAY 1874
CARRICK, HUNTER & ANDERSON 1838

Thank you so much for all of your efforts!

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 November 23 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simone88, here are the (not very clear) pictures. If the weather permits, I will go and take a few more, hopefully they will be easier to read.
To help, here are transcripts of both stones, taken from Sheila A. Scott's "Upper Ward of Lanarkshire Monumental Inscriptions".

"William Carrick, farmer Westfield, died 26th May 1874 aged 58. His wife Janet Ballantyne died 24th March 1897 aged 86 years. Their son David died 21st June 1898 aged 46 years (His wife Beatrice Ramsay Russell died 25th June 1928 aged 72 years). Their daughter Isabella died 28th October 1898 aged 50 years. Their daughter Marion died 4th March 1900 aged 53 years. Their daughter Janet died 13th November 1923 aged 81 years".

(The next plot to this has James Henderson, farmer Cornhill, born 27th June 1837 died 1st March 1908. His wife Margaret Carrick born 29th September 1839 died 7th December 1914 ... + several children, including William Carrick Henderson, which points to Margaret's father being William Carrick).

2nd stone -

"George Carrick died at Culter 9th April 1858 aged 79 years. His wife Janet Hunter died at Culter 11th August 1859 aged 84 years. Their son James died at Culter 13th March 1849 aged 39 years. Their son John died at Culter 25th January 1872 aged 69 years. (His wife Jane Anderson died at Glasgow 29th March 1885 aged 64 years and their children, Margaret died 25th November 1859 aged 7 months and Janet died 22nd November 1859 aged 2 years & 6 months)".

The stone before this has David Carrick died at Culter 23rd July 1844 aged 37 years, his wife Agnes Frier died 8th March 1888 aged 84 years. ...... This couple also have 2 sons who died died in infancy both named David, also another son named George who died at Lamington in 1909 aged 78.

Also, the stone after the George Carrick & Janet Hunter one has Mungo Carrick, died 14th March 1855 aged 66 years. His wife Catherine Dick died at Walston 26th February 1848 aged 55 years.

It just so happens that I downloaded this Mungo's 1855 death certificate a few years ago. A relation of mine has Carrick in his ancestry and the family are buried in Culter churchyard, he also has a Mungo in his ancestry who was the son of William Sinclair (died 1827 aged 80 years and his wife Jane Carrick who died 1823 aged 88 years). I'm guessing that all these Carrick's are related in some way, with "Mungo" as a family name. The 1855 death certificate states that Mungo was born in the parish of Kirkurd which is over the county border in Peeblesshire but really just a few miles from Coulter (or Culter as it used to be known). Mungo's parents are given as John Carrick, farmer and Euphemia Barclay. There is also a list of his children, both living and deceased at the time of his death. If you want a copy I can send it to you.

Finally, the pictures!
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Simone968

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lodger,
I can't thank you enough for your lengthy, and very informative, response!
The pictures of the gravestones are fantastic.
I was intrigued by the person named Mungo (and the fact you have a friend that has Carrick lines like myself).
I have added the Mungo (that is buried in the churchyard) to my family tree, as John Carrick and Euphemia Barclay are my 7th Great grandparents.
I am going to surmise that Jane Carrick (mother of the other Mungo you wrote of) is the sister of John Carrick, as they both would then have a child named Mungo and the years fit according to their ages.
Regarding John Carrick, I only have his fathers name as James Carrick. I do not have a name for the mother, but at least the name Mungo is a clue as to what her surname may have been.
I would greatly appreciate a copy of the death certificate that you mentioned.
I am looking at coming to Scotland with a friend of mine late next year. We went to England and Wales early 2019 for family tree, but did not get to Scotland.
Thank you once again and I look forward to hearing from you.
Simone
We will definitely be visiting the Churchyard!

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 23 November 23 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Here is the 1855 death certificate. I think in the list of his children the last one should read "James", not Janet. James was the informant on the certificate and, although no qualification is given, I think it must be Mungo's son. In the column for Burial Place, the informant is John Thripland, his occupation is a wright, it is not his surname. A wright was a joiner who, in almost ever country place and parish, doubled as the undertaker. On the very first column on the left of the page, the entry number is 4.
This means that Mungo's was the 4th death registered in that parish in 1855 and it was almost at the end of March, so not enough business to keep a proper undertaker in business!
This is certificate has a wealth of information that was never replicated in any other year, simply because 1855 was the first year of statutory registration here in Scotland, so look out for any other birth, marriage or deaths in 1855, they are always a bonus.
Good luck in your research and welcome to Rootschat!
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Simone968

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for this, and for the additional information regarding 1855, very interesting!