Author Topic: my Grandmother Alice Ringrose  (Read 6879 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: my Grandmother Alice Ringrose
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 16:39 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism of an Alice Ringrose DOB 18th Oct 1884 ,bapt 6 Nov 1884 at St Ann's Rainhill.
Mothers name also Alice Ringrose (from the township of Widnes),she was born in the Prescot Workhouse

The 1881 census shows a 14 yr old Alice Ringrose born London, in service in Prescot registration district.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XQX9-MZH
Good find Avm ,certainly sounds a possibility and the fact that she has a sampler with Chase Farm on it,perhaps that was where her mum also Alice came from?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 16:39 BST (UK) »
The 1921 census has them both living in Durham Ontario,so maybe I'm getting my knickers in a twist here. :-[ :-[ :-[

Yes, isn't it saying the marriage has taken place in Durham - can't see anything about birthplace there?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 16:50 BST (UK) »
Regarding Alice's possible mother, in 1891 there is a London-born Alice Ringrose, 19, laundress, as a patient in an institution in Upper Holloway, Islington, likely I think to be St Mary's Infirmary (attached to the workhouse). RG12/150/59/17.

Not a perfect match age-wise with the 14 yr old found in Prescot in 1881, of course, but perhaps worth a look in case one or both of these recorded ages is inaccurate.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 16:55 BST (UK) »
There is information on Chase Farm on this page:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Edmonton/

Possibly some information (Creed Registers?) at London Metropolitan Archives.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 17:26 BST (UK) »
Regarding Alice's possible mother, in 1891 there is a London-born Alice Ringrose, 19, laundress, as a patient in an institution in Upper Holloway, Islington, likely I think to be St Mary's Infirmary (attached to the workhouse). RG12/150/59/17.

Not a perfect match age-wise with the 14 yr old found in Prescot in 1881, of course, but perhaps worth a look in case one or both of these recorded ages is inaccurate.

Hmmm.  Actually perhaps this one in 1891 is more likely to be the Alice who we saw in service in Lancs in 1881:

1891 in Chorlton, Lancs: Alice Violet Ringrose, 23 b London Middlesex, domestic servant.

RG12/3184/58/15.

Possible birth as Alice Veoler Ringrose, Sep qtr 1867 Poplar.

It looks as though she went on to marry a police constable named Bamford Hawkwood in Rochdale in 1896 and had children with him.

Offline gloworm45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 05 June 14 17:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you for helping me. My Grandmother, Alice Austin is the person born in the workhouse. She did marry Herbert Austin from Canton, Ontario in Durham Region. I am so glad to have this information and now I know her mother's name was Alice. Grandma had connections with Chase Farm for sure. I have always though her birthyear was 1885 but then I saw her grave marker and it said she was born in 1884. I don't believe that because the sampler she made says she was 13 years in 1899 and it was Chase Farm, Enfield. She came over to Canada that year. You have been such a great help to me. All of my Grandparents on all side came from England  and it is pretty hard for me to search out some of the facts.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 05 June 14 17:28 BST (UK) »
It does look from the evidence as though she was born in 1884, not 1885.  There is no sign of a birth registration of an Alice Ringrose anywhere in England & Wales in 1885 or 1886.

Regarding the sampler: children who did not grow up with their parents may well have lost track of how old they were.  In an orphanage it is unlikely that birthdays were celebrated, and from the passenger list it appears they had her down as born 1885 rather than 1884 so perhaps the institutional records were wrong anyway.

Which birth certificate have you ordered - is it the Dec qtr 1884 Prescot one?

Offline gloworm45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 05 June 14 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi all, Thanks for your help. My Grandmother, Alice Ringrose, was born in 1884 because I have her marriage certificate and she was 28 years old on June 1st, 1913 when her and Grandpa married, but she would have turned 29 on October the 12th of that year. So her grave marker is right. She did the Chase Farm sampler just before she came over to Canada in July 1899. She was 13 years old but turned 14 on October 12th of that year. I really appreciate all the help I am getting.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 05 June 14 18:01 BST (UK) »
On the Lancashire baptism found by Carol, Alice's birthdate is actually recorded as 18th October rather than 12th October.  It will be interesting to see what the birth certificate says when you receive it.