Author Topic: Completed with Thanks - Could someone help date these photos please  (Read 978 times)

Offline tuppence_123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Completed with Thanks - Could someone help date these photos please
« on: Wednesday 04 June 14 12:49 BST (UK) »
I believe that the first photo, of the couple having tea, is of either my great grandparents (Reginald and Edith Mabel Stirrup) or else my great great grandparents (Stirrup or Stent side of the family), depending on the date of the photo.  This belief is based on the considerable similarities when comparing a photo of my great uncle William (Reginald and Edith's son) with the man in this photo. 

The second photo, of the woman with the toddler, is possibly Edith with one of her 4 children.  Could the woman in the first photo have matured into the woman in this one?

Do you think the child is a girl or boy?

Thanking you in advance

Cathryn

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Could someone help date these photos please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathryn,

Welcome to Rootschat!

The woman in both photos is I am fairly certain the same woman. She has the same nose & eyebrows.

As regards the dates of the photos, the divided back (message on one side & address on the other) on these postcard style photos did not start in Britain until 1902. The real photo experts Chinakay, Jim1 etc will I am sure be able to give you a better idea of date.

I hope that the small amount of info that I have given you is at least somewhat helpful!

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Brittaya

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 21:44 BST (UK) »
Based on the clothing I'd say early 1900's.

-Britt
Black - Aberdeen
Milton - Aberdeen
Houston - Canada, Ireland, Scotland
Joslyn - Canada, England
Ross - Scotland, Ireland

Offline tuppence_123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 June 14 07:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies. 
I think I can safely assume that the photo of the couple having tea are Reginald and Edith Mabel - if the clothes and type of photo date them to the early 1900s then, regardless of how good my great great grandparents genes were, they wouldn't have looked like that in their 50s or 60s! 
And thanks David for your impartial eye seeing that the woman is probably the same one in both photos.  This would mean that she is a slightly older Edith most likely holding my grandmother Kathleen.
Kathleen (my maternal grandmother) died when my mum was only 11 so mum has absolutely no knowledge of her family, and only a handful of undated, unnamed photos.

Cathryn

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 June 14 16:19 BST (UK) »
First one, about 1905-1908ish, the second a bit later. Looks like she is wearing a suffragette suit about 1912-1914 or so.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline tuppence_123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 June 14 08:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you China for the confirmation about the dates - it ties in with whom I now believe them to be.  Especially thank you for saying that in the second photo it looks like she was wearing a suffragette suit - mum was hoping to find a suffragette in the family - she will settle for a suit!

Regards
Cathryn

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 June 14 01:09 BST (UK) »
The suffragette suit was very fashionable at the time and not necessarily a political statement :)

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull