Author Topic: "Eight Mouths Fortus Cleary" - the most ridiculous transcription error ever?  (Read 7937 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: "Eight Mouths Fortus Cleary" - the most ridiculous transcription error ever?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 June 14 17:51 BST (UK) »
In 1863, John Dunbabin married Esther Cranshaw. The handwriting must have been terrible, because it has been transcribed by the registry office (and hence the GRO) and Lancashire Online Parish Clerks as BUMBAION.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Eight Mouths Fortus Cleary" - the most ridiculous transcription error ever?
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 June 14 18:18 BST (UK) »
Was just taking a break  from reading some census,s checking in a few details, and came here to calm down, and then found this post. I have been getting so frustrated with the errors, one person had translated Dorchester to Whitechapel ;D and it was clearly written, on the next census it had the same person born in Wales again Dorset was written clearly. There were several other stupid mistakes I began to think it was deliberately done. ;D
Bottle,Wheatley Marsh, Williams, Dowling,    Penrose, Gilbert

Offline VivienR

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 June 14 02:41 BST (UK) »
As much as I find Ancestry useful for all the records they have their transcriptions drive me crazy. 
I was looking up someone on the 1841 Scottish census on Ancestry and couldn't find them. There they were on the 1841 census on FreeCen clear as day.  Thankfully there are a few places that do transcribe records with some accuracy - Freecen being one.  The 1901 and 1911 Canadian censuses on Automated genealogy are head and shoulders above the Ancestry records. 

Vivien

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 June 14 02:52 BST (UK) »
To add to the growing list of wrong transcriptions.

The NSW deaths index has a LAKE CHUNT death 1911, when in fact his name was LUKE CHANT.

Even though his is listed correctly for his marriage and again as father of a number of children
the NSW registry will not make the correction.
Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton

Offline kateblogs

• RootsChat Member
  • Youth is wasted on the young
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 June 14 13:53 BST (UK) »
My great grandfathers family were listed as Rogan instead of Owens on one census. I looked at the original image and it's quite clearly Owens, so I have no idea where Rogan came from.  ???
GILBY - Essex, Warwickshire and Cambridgeshire
OWENS - Yorkshire (West Riding) and Ireland
PUGH - Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Cheshire, and Nottinghamshire
RYLANDS - Liverpool and Ireland

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 30 June 14 14:37 BST (UK) »
My great grandfathers family were listed as Rogan instead of Owens on one census. I looked at the original image and it's quite clearly Owens, so I have no idea where Rogan came from.  ???

Maybe he was eating curry at the time  ;)

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 30 June 14 14:38 BST (UK) »
When I first started doing family history online,I eventually found one of mine,whose name was Fred,as FROG  :D

I also remember doing a look up for a dad of 10 kids who was down as being 5.
The image clearly said 50.

Over the years there must have been hundreds more.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 30 June 14 15:00 BST (UK) »
I had one down as 10 years of age when it clearly said 70 that made search parametres useless

Surnames have been down as all sorts my 2 x great grandfather Charles Bowkett was down on his marriage certificate as Charles Bokett luckily I had his wife's maiden name to find it mind you I have found it in early records as Bucket (no comments please!)

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 30 June 14 15:20 BST (UK) »
I do hope that you are all reporting these errors?! ;D

Ancestry, FindMyPast, Genes, etc won't know there's an error unless somebody tells them - and it IS very helpful for the next person who goes looking! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)