Author Topic: "Eight Mouths Fortus Cleary" - the most ridiculous transcription error ever?  (Read 7927 times)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
I was searching for a death record (on one of the for-pay sites) when I came across an entry for someone named Eight Mouths Fortus Cleary.

Naturally, I was intrigued, so I viewed the original record which, tragically, was for an "eight month foetus," stillborn, with the surname Cleary. It's a good thing the parents aren't alive to see this.  :o

This is the most ridiculous error I've ever seen.

Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Eight Mouths Fortus Cleary" - the most ridiculous transcription error ever?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 22:35 BST (UK) »
Oh that's awful....that should be corrected!!!
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Freespirit1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Eight Mouths Fortus Cleary" - the most ridiculous transcription error ever?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 June 14 00:49 BST (UK) »
Well, I had to look closer at an entry for a Mary Hon Han Hord, which seemed quite an unusual name for 19th century Dorset.  She turned out to be Mary Ann Hansford, written very clearly. 

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 June 14 01:02 BST (UK) »
Poor little baby. I've got one who was born prematurely and died 1-2 hours old... always makes my stomach turn a bit to think of the poor mother cradling her tiny baby and waiting for it to die  :'(

There have been times when I've had to resort to going through the census pages by hand (thankfully most of mine are in towns and villages) and I did once find out that I couldn't find my Carter family because they had been transcribed as Leota... I mean, no wonder really  ::)

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 June 14 13:53 BST (UK) »
The most ridiculous one I found was "Woodmancotbadlegge" for place of birth.  The image said "Woodmancote" and the "bad legs" was in the infirmity column.

The hardest transcription was Stevens.  I found Emily Stevens because she had her son by a previous marriage (surname Purvey) with her and he had been correctly transcribed.  Stevens had been transcribed as Howard.  Not a single letter the same!  No way would I have been able to guess it or try alternatives.  To be fair, the handwriting on the image was so bad it could have said anything!
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 June 14 17:16 BST (UK) »
I don't know how these genealogy sites are run. Maybe they don't have staff allocated to review or even skim over new transcriptions. It just seems to me that some errors should be blatantly obvious to anyone with a good grasp of the English language and some level of knowledge of English-language names. If the transcriptions are being done by people who lack that overall knowledge, it would be ideal if someone better qualified in that area could review the work. I guess that's not how it's done, for whatever reason (the financial bottom line, probably).

As some have noted, this means that we have to be extra creative when searching for those who have been mistranscribed (whether due to transcriber error or the original writing being bad or hard to read). I, too, have had to resort to going through census images page by page and have been astounded at various mistranscriptions.

Sometimes the errors make me chuckle and sometimes, as with Eight Mouths Fortus Cleary, I just shake my head.

That being said, I'm grateful for all of the genealogy sites and their efforts to make more and more records available to us in better and better formats. It's pretty amazing, when I think about how challenging it was to use a certain site more than 10 years ago and how terrible its census viewer was back then.  ;)

And, of course, I'm eternally grateful to Rootschat and the many Rootschatters who have been so kind and helpful over the years.

Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 June 14 19:48 BST (UK) »
I may be wrong, and I'm sure someone will correct me, but I think that a lot of the transcripts are carried out by non-english  speaking people who are possibly paid a pittance for doing so.  Having done transcripts for FreeBMD and currently into 1960's indices with many foreign names, I do know that I have to concentrate harder, and therefore am slower with my submissions.  BUT I'm not being paid for my efforts, perhaps if I was dependent on being paid I might not be so careful.  :-\

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 June 14 21:48 BST (UK) »
I think the transcripts are done by automated optical character readers.   They are very good, for what they do, but ..........................
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 June 14 21:53 BST (UK) »
Of course, the next question should be . . . did you report the error?! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)