Author Topic: Knapp, Australia  (Read 6649 times)

Offline cookemee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Knapp, Australia
« Reply #18 on: Friday 06 June 14 06:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for everything you have given me.  I wasn't expecting this much.  Will be going over it all on the weekend.   :D

I found some paperwork this morning stating there was two William Henry Knapp (father & son).   William Henry Jr was born in England.  But I am confused, on one death Certificate (William Snr)William Jr is down as John & John is down as George, so I'm told.  And why would they have a son John & one Jonathan.   ???

Also found some of William Snr ancestors details(b,d,m & baptisum)

Yvonne
Pannowitz, Pannowitch, Holloway, Mousley & Mee

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 06 June 14 06:16 BST (UK) »
 :)   Re John and Jonathan ..... two different names  :)

Add
and confusion on death certs  :)  When a family member is organising a funeral (and it is usually the funeral director who does the formal lodging of the registration for a death), they are not only experiencing their own grief, but also needing to comfort each family member they contact.   So, it is quite possible and not at all unusual for the info on a death certificate to be 'confusing' ..... sometimes the names and ages are 'out of kilter', and this is understandable.   As far as I know, there is no-one charged with the formal responsibility of checking that the details are 'spot on'.   As the informant on a number of NSW deaths, I have sworn that the info I have provided is truthful 'to the best of my knowledge'. 

Cheers,  JM   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 06 June 14 06:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for everything you have given me.  I wasn't expecting this much.  Will be going over it all on the weekend.   :D

I found some paperwork this morning stating there was two William Henry Knapp (father & son).   William Henry Jr was born in England.  But I am confused, on one death Certificate (William Snr)William Jr is down as John & John is down as George, so I'm told.  And why would they have a son John & one Jonathan.   ???

Also found some of William Snr ancestors details(b,d,m & baptisum)

Yvonne

Death in Victoria

KNAPP William Henry
Father William
Mother Mary Ann NORTH
Age  42
Birth Place  U
Year 1880
Reg Number  7276

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 06 June 14 06:36 BST (UK) »
The marriage of William Henry Jnr gives his birthplace as OXFORD

KNAPP William Henry
MARSHALL Elizabeth
His Birth Place  OXFORD
Year 1868
Reg   3883

Sue

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 06 June 14 06:57 BST (UK) »

Obituary 1915 J G KNAPP

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/119605469?

Death

KNAPP Jno Geo
Father Knapp Wm Hy
Mother  Carol Mary NORTH
Age 74
Death Place  Coleraine
Year  1915
Reg. Number  12990

Sue

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 06 June 14 13:44 BST (UK) »
The names of these children!!  :o
The son William Henry jnr is not mentioned at all - or at least not by that name - on either of his parents' death certificates, nor in the affidavit dated 1877 for the administration of his fathers' will.  I think the birthplace of "Oxford" is likely to mean Oxfordshire rather than the city of Oxford.  Headington, where William and Mary Ann married is a suburb of the city, although large enough to be a registration district in its own right.

BTW Harriet's marriage certificate gives her parents as William Henry KNAPP and Mary Elizabeth NORTH.

I think these children were so young when Mary Ann and then William died that they were not able to be clear on details of their parents BMDs.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 07 June 14 07:58 BST (UK) »
I don't think that the eldest son William arrived in Victoria with his parents & is why his name is missing from some documents. He probably arrived later possibly with other family members  :-\

The 1851 census has the following:

William KNAPP age 12yrs b. Weald, Oxfordshire, England
Relation: Nephew
Registration district: Witney
Sub-registration district: Ensham
Piece: 1731
Folio: 295
Page Number: 5

Living in the household with:
Robert NORTH 30yrs
Martha NORTH 28yrs
Elizabeth NORTH 5yrs
Mary Ann NORTH 3yrs
Emma NORTH 1yr

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 07 June 14 13:57 BST (UK) »
Great find, Merlin.  Some possible siblings for Robert.

FamilySearch has these baptisms, all at Bampton, Oxfordshire with parents Thomas NORTH and Elizabeth:
Thomas, 18 May, 1803
Henry, 21 June 1809
Tabitha, 24 May 1815
Robert, bap 17 Jan 1821
Charles, 31 July 1825
Henry, 4 November 1827
Elizabeth, 31 May 1830

Cannot see a baptism for a Mary Ann on this site. Weald is part of the parish of Bampton.

This looks like Mary Ann's parents in 1841 - her death cert gave her father as Thomas working at Witney Workhouse.
At Witney Union Workhouse:
Thomas NORTH, 50 porter - born in county
Elizabeth NORTH, 50, cook - born in county
Elizabeth NOrth jnr, 11 - born in county

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cookemee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 08 June 14 02:38 BST (UK) »
My mother sent me a book my fathers cousin had put together, but there's very limited info on the "Knapp" family.  It is mostly on the "Mee & Pannowitz" lines.
In this book it states that William Snr came over ahead of Mary Ann.  Mary Ann stayed until William Jr was born then she followed on her own, no mention who Will stayed with, he came over years later.  Harriet is my 2x great-grand-mother & she wed Adelbertus George Pannowitz, aka George (george had a habit of changing the spelling of Pannowitz many times).
If you're wanting a copy of what i have please let me know, but I'm thinking you have this and more from what I've seen.   ;D

Pannowitz, Pannowitch, Holloway, Mousley & Mee