Author Topic: Not sure I have the correct Forum  (Read 795 times)

Offline GeoffRyan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Not sure I have the correct Forum
« on: Thursday 05 June 14 17:37 BST (UK) »
I recently discoverd on the Canadian forum that my GGGrandfather Patrick Ryan b1839  Limerick, Ireland, was stationed in Canada where he Married his Wife Bridget Flannery b1835 in  Clare, Ireland , Patrick was a private in the 17th regiment. Parents Edmund Ryan and Johanna Ryan of County Limerick. Bridget's parents were Daniel Flannery and Louise Gledson of County Clare,They were Married at Saint Patrick in Quebec City, Canada 17 Nov  1863 and on the 26 Dec 1863 their son Stephen was born, (my GGrandfather)
All the above information was very kindly provided by "cosmac" on the Canadian forum
What I would like to find out now is what the 17th Regiment means?
When and how they arrived in Canada.
I know they were in East India in 1874 because that's when their 2nd child Eliabeth was born and I know they were in Salford Lancashire UK from the 1881 Census, so would it be possible to trace their travels from Canada to the uk???
Thankyou in anticipation

Regards
Geoff

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure I have the correct Forum!!!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 June 14 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff and welcome to the Armed Forces board.

The link given below gives the history of the 17th and the bit that will be of interest to you is in the lower part of the article. You would need to find out if Patrick was in the 1st or 2nd Btn (I feel that given the information he would have been in the 2nd)....hope it helps abit..

http://www.royalleicestershireregiment.org.uk/history-of-the-regiment/

OR.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline GeoffRyan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 June 14 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi OR, and thank you for your rapid responce,
It says in the link that the 2nd Battalion returned home in 1890 but Patrick and family are on the 1881 UK census. why would that be, could I have the wrong man?

Geoff

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 June 14 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff

Canada and the East Indies matches the 1st Battalion 17th Regiment. In 1881 they were still in India, but they kept one or two companies as a Depot in the UK.

Where exactly was he in 1881, and are there any other soldiers near by? and what does it give as his occupation. If he was serving in 1861 you should find him on Findmypast's index.

Ken

Offline GeoffRyan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 June 14 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken, In 1881 Patrick is in Salford, Lancashire with Bridget, Stephen and Elizabeth and is working as a labourer, the only links to the army are the births of his children in Canada 1863 and India 1874 and his marriage 1863 in Canada which states he was a private in the 17th regiment then, but a corporal on Stephens baptism record a month later.
I assume he must have enlisted somtime between 1861 when the the 17th regiment were in Ireland and when they left for Canada in 1862/3.
I am on Ancestry, have they any records I should be looking at?
Thanks again for your help Ken

Geoff

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 June 14 16:36 BST (UK) »
Findmypast has a likely record.

Patrick Ryan, 1 Battalion 17th Foot, born Killonan, Limerick circa August 1839. Attested 1857.  Served in North America roughly 1859-1866,  India 1871-1878. Discharged on return to UK in January 1879.  Was in Quebec in 1859.  No record of his promotion to Corporal though.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GeoffRyan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 June 14 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,
I think this is a VERY likely record, Thanks to you on this forum and cosmac on the Canada forum, I`ve learnt more about my GGGrandfather in the last 2 days, than in the last twenty years.

Thanks once again

regards
Geoff

Offline GeoffRyan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 June 14 00:16 BST (UK) »
Sorry Shaun, Going through the post again and only just noticed your NOT km1971 (Ken) think I went a bit giddy when I read your post, great find, Thanks again to both you and Ken for your heip.

Geoff