Author Topic: findmypast  (Read 2804 times)

Offline Yelworlc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
findmypast
« on: Thursday 05 June 14 18:31 BST (UK) »
I have recently bought some credits on findmypast.co.uk and have purchased a few relevant transcriptions.   When it comes to downloading images of documents my BT broadband is so slow that after 10 mins there is still no page showing and so I cancel. My question is: Will I be able to see more information on the image than I can see on the transcription?   For instance; On any marriage or birth certificate that I have copies of there is information about the parents.   If there is more information then I shall persevere.   Any help will be much appreciated.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: findmypast
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 June 14 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Yelworlc

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

There are issues with various parts of FindMyPast as there was a major uograde recently and things still aren't sorted out so it may not be your broadband that has the problem.

What dataset are you trying to look at?

Generally, though, there are usually more things to see on the actual image rather than the transcriptions.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 June 14 19:14 BST (UK) »
I would keep trying. What kind of records are you looking at?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Yelworlc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 June 14 21:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you both - At this point I'm looking at 'England and Wales births, marriages and deaths' and trying to trace my Father in Law's (1903-1986) ancestry - All in the NE of England at the moment - I shall have another go in a few days.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 June 14 21:33 BST (UK) »
NE England is my part of the world. Although I live in Norway I am a Northumbrian. Maybe if you tell us who you are researching we may be able to help.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 June 14 21:50 BST (UK) »
If you are just starting out, then try looking at free transcriptions of the GRO birth, marriage and death indexes at www.freebmd.org.uk
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 June 14 22:06 BST (UK) »
I'd just add that you don't have to wait for the image to finish displaying on screen before you download it to your own computer and open it up from there
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Yelworlc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 June 14 09:28 BST (UK) »
Very useful tip - Not only with findmypast but with other applications as well - thanks

Offline Yelworlc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 June 14 09:49 BST (UK) »
NE England is my part of the world. Although I live in Norway I am a Northumbrian. Maybe if you tell us who you are researching we may be able to help.
My family interest is centered on the Darlington, Stockton area rather than Northumbria, although as I understand it, included in the family history was a mass migration of people from Gateshead to Darlington when a major railway complex was closed in Gateshead and moved to Darlington.  The migrants found it quite difficult to integrate as the regional character was quite different over just a short distance.   Anyway, my Father-in-Law's name was Frederick Darby although his father was not a Darby!   My research has made progress since contacting 'Rootschat' which has been a great help and stimulation;  Thanks to all involved - CR